TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says. Last month or so my car has been randomly acting like its gonna die... whether at idle or on the road. No CEL. Doesn't do it all the time.... maybe once every few minutes or so. Not sure if its doing it more when the engine is cold or not. Would the TPS or a bad ground wire be an issue? I have recently replaced the ECU and IAC valve. I could be driving down the road and for a split second the car just dies... the comes back to life. Does the same thing at idle.

Since its been colder outside ill let my car warm up for a bit. During that time I can listen to it about to stall out in the driveway, but never fully does. I have no idea where to start :(.

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
I rec putting a fuel pressure guage on the car and when it is acting up see if the fuel pressure is dropping. Sounds like a weak fuel pump. Maybe a clogged filter? If you have access to a scan tool watch the PIDs, see what the fuel trims and MAF voltage is when it begins to act up.

Oh and did this start after replacing the ecu and IAC or did you replace them to try and fix it?

·
5,650 Posts
I rec putting a fuel pressure guage on the car and when it is acting up see if the fuel pressure is dropping. Sounds like a weak fuel pump. Maybe a clogged filter? If you have access to a scan tool watch the PIDs, see what the fuel trims and MAF voltage is when it begins to act up.

Oh and did this start after replacing the ecu and IAC or did you replace them to try and fix it?
Start with this above. The MAF sensor could be causing this as well. Has it been cleaned recently? Did you reset the computer after changing the IAC?

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
I should stop smoking crack
WTF!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

WTF did i write? i dont remember what i wrote here or even writing anything here. what was my original message? p.m. me what i wrote- i'm seriously interested. maybe someone broke into my computer:eek: please?!!!!

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
WTF!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

WTF did i write? i dont remember what i wrote here or even writing anything here. what was my original message? p.m. me what i wrote- i'm seriously interested. maybe someone broke into my computer:eek: please?!!!!
you don't remeber what you wrote an hour ago?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
i do now:eek:... i was talkin about a rod knock. thought i was in that thread about the ticking with his video evidence:eek:

like i said, stop smoking crack.......dont think we're not noticing this little trend you've started

·
Banned
2,185 Posts

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
sorry for the hijacked thread but i had this problem in my 4.6 before she done took a dump. someone told me i got a computer issue or a crank sensor issue. yir check engine light on?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I replaced the IAC valve a couple years ago when I got the infamous "goose" noise under the hood with the random idling issue. I replaced that and it when away and the car was fine. I replaced the ECU recently because I had gas dumping out of the exhaust... i put in a different ECU and the car was fine. This new problem has started maybe a couple months after the ECU replacement.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bought my car from a buddy for $600. It was running on 7 cylinders. He told me he got the car diagnosed and the guy said the eec was bad and a fuel injector was stuck open. so, the mechanic unplugged the fuel injector. I pluged it in and sure enough, it poured gas out of the exhaust. I replaced the eec and after smoking for awhile the car was fine. Then I noticed that while driving the engine would mis every once in a while. I thought maybe I had fould a plug in the cylinder that had the malfuction with the injector. So, I replaced the plugs and wires, still missed every once in a while for a few days and then it got worse to the point it would stall. I checked for spark between the coil packs and wires and discovered one pack was bad. Aftef replacing It has been running fine. I'm not sure but I think the coil pack my have somehow fried the eec.
I'm not sure If this helps you at all, but I had a similar expirence so i thought I'd share.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Seems like the problem is getting worse. Car is totally stalling out now while on the road no matter what RPM I'm at. I'm gonna take it in to have the fuel pressure checked out.... as well as the TPS and EGR.

Thunderclucker, my car is not misfiring at all.... I've had bad plugs and wires to where a cylinder is not firing properly, and this just ain't that. It is either running smooth like normal, or totally cuts out and stalls at any RPM.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts