TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2000 Taurus has recently developed a strange problem. It doesn't happen often, but twice now in three days, when she turns the steering wheel sharply the car dies. Both times, the car has been at a near idle, but under no extreme load. She had a check engine light on for the DPFE sensor, but when it died the first time, the light went out, and hasn't returned, yet. I'm having a hard time figuring out where to start. My first thoughts are a vacuum leak because of a braking oddity and the DPFE sensor. Maybe some strange electrical issue, or fuel. Any recomendations? Thank you for the help!

Scott
Bloomington, IN

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Does it sputter any before it dies? If so, then I would guess maybe some water in the tank. . . . .Other than that I would have to guess an electrical short.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just my .02 but it might be the PS pump giving up the ghost. I had a similar problem on my 4cyl mustang. When I turned right, the engine would sputter, and eventually die if I held the wheel there. Once the pump was replaced, everything was good to go.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That could emplain a few other things then too. Her car has always been hard to turn, meaning, you had to swing it like a school bus to get into parking places, and around corners, but other Taurus's that I've been in haven't been that way. I'll take a look at it and see. Thanks for the input!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts