TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what i've been reading the ranger roller cam is a direct swap for the turbo coupe, now do you necessarily have to swap the cam or can you just swap the lifters and roller followers? I say this because i've been reading that the ranger cam has a lower valve lift than the stock turbo coupe cam, and i was wondering if i can just leave the stock cam in there and swap out the rockers and lifters. If anyone knows i'd be very interested. Thanks

·
Registered
443 Posts
No, the cam shaft in the Turbo Coupe is not made for roller lifters. The RR cam does have a lower lift, but it being a truck cam it produces more torque. Also it being a lifter, you dont lose any horsepower and gain some fuel economy. I have one in mine, out of an 85 ranger.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I kinda figured, just wanted to check, is there a noticeable difference? Im gonna be doing a whole lot of mods in about 5-6 months and i wanna know if i should go with a ranger roller, or get an aftermarket roller cam. Im hoping to push about 350-400hp.

·
Registered
443 Posts
If your looking at numbers like that then the RR cam isnt gonna help you. For that you need to look at Ford Motorsports cams and the like.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Catlettsburg is a small town outside of ashland. I would check out the chapter, but 0 out of 3 thunderbirds are running right now.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The Ranger roller is a good cam, Have one in my 88TC 5speed car, will hit the rev limter in the ECU in the first 3 gears.

The stock TC cam is a cast iron cam that has been nitrate harded, I have heard stories of guys running the roller fowllers on them for a short amount of time but they always wipe the cam out.

The RR roller cam is a billit steel cam

If your looking for 350-400 HP your going to have a cam up in the .500 range and a huge turbo about 30 lbs of boost

·
Registered
109 Posts
first thing to do is get the head off and see what the story is with it.

you can run the the N/A head BUT it has diffrent valves and they will not take the heat long.

What leads you to belive the head is bad?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah thats about what im looking to run, nice big turbo, equal length manifold, gutted/ported intake, 55lb injectors 255lph pump, etc, etc., also got do a t5 swap cuz this tranny can't take that kind of power.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Its the cumbustion chambers that are different. The turbo head has a "D" shaped combustion chamber while the N/A head has a heart shaped chamber. Plus the valves are shrouded. In the N/A/ head there are also more areas for detonation.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hobo it depends on what year head you use, the one your talking about is the fast burn head, it also has a smaller CC, BUT a good machinist will get it where it can work.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I believe that I do remember seeing someone getting a fast burn head to work on a TC. I dont remember what boost he was running, I would guess 10#. His timing was set at 6 btdc. He also had a DIS working on it too.

·
Banned
538 Posts
check out my last post lol, 350hp is not that hard to attain in a turbo coupe, boost is the replacement for displacement, but that IHI aint gonna do it. It runs out of steam at 18psi. make sure you get a GOOD T-5 cause those birds are heavy, also u joints and crap like that. I didnt do it right the first time and did it again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just posted numerous sites for additional info...but the roller ranger cam is a GOOD choice according to EXACTLY what you intend to do with the car...go to turbotbird.com and ck out the 25 quickest and click on the TOP 25 QUICKEST then Quickest 25 TC's then click on the NAMES to see the combo's...YOU WILL BE SURPRISED. :cool:

·
Registered
443 Posts
THat may be true that some of the fastest at NATO are using the roller cam. But he's looking for 350-400hp. To my knowledge, no car using the roller cam is making near that kind of power at NATO.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well according to the posts at nato on the 25 quickest times, more than half of the top 10 are using ranger roller cams. So it must be pretty effective up to at least 350, because if your running 12's or low 13's on a 3400lbs. car you're probably running about that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts