TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so pissed right now!!!!! My wife just hit a f***king deer w/ my bird!!! I swear, I put so much into something, and kablooey, it gets ruined one way or the other. WTF!? I guess I can't have anything nice..... Figures, I was just about to get the paint re-done and order new shocks and lowering springs. So far from what I can see, and I am not a uni-body man, but I do have eyes, is:

Bent/dimpled hood
Broken body support for where the front bumper cover goes under the hood(where the t-bird emblem is)
T-bird emblem loose
Busted/leaking 2003 Cobra radiator (got shoved up into the header panel and bent)
Busted 2003 Cobra Fan assem.
Severely bent lower rad. support
hard line for ac bent
fur EVERYWHERE!
lower air damn ripped
pass. side wheelwell cracked
Bumper cover scuffed in 4 places-paint chipped on one- rest is spiderwebbed
Front Licence plate and holder ripped off and flattened/cracked
Driver's side headlight assem. loose

I'm sure there is more I can't see, but that is about what I can tell. At least she's ok, but it still pisses us off. She likes the bird as much as I do. Not her fault I know. Now I gotta deal w/ the bullsh*t insurance co. that will prob. want to give me stock parts intead of all the Cobra stuff that I just got 4 months ago. I better get all of it and then some. No cheaping out here. I may as well have the thing re-painted to take care of the fading clear that Ford used on these things while I'm at it. I could fix the rad. and stuff myself, but there is more body damage than I care to try and fix. Besides, that's what I pay for full coverage for, right? Anyone have a rough idea of what the cost would be for all this stuff? Never had a claim in my life, and I don't want to get screwed. I recall one of you guys hitting a deer w/ a Cougar i believe, something like 3 times, so someone should know. Any guess would be appreciated. Now, off to email Dan @ Joe Cooper Ford....:(

·
Real Ultimate Goatse Hunter
850 Posts
Your estimate from a body shop will be $2000-$3000. Usually you can talk to the guy and get them to use the aftermarket parts so the cobra radiator shouldn't be a big deal if he agrees. You might be able to talk him into getting a cowl hood as well but alot of body shops that mainly do insurance repair don't like doing them because it takes more work to fit the hood and more importantly is getting the part on time and the support the company supplies.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thought about the cowl hood. I guess Cervinis would be good? Haven't really gotten that far into the research. I like the cobra hoods, but seems that everyone has an issue w/ them.

·
Real Ultimate Goatse Hunter
850 Posts
FordMan77 said:
Thought about the cowl hood. I guess Cervinis would be good? Haven't really gotten that far into the research. I like the cobra hoods, but seems that everyone has an issue w/ them.
Well if you won't be doing the fitting, then you don't have to worry about the issues most people have unless they are pretty major since they will be doing the work :D

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True, it would be their prob., not mine, lol! Besides, that's what they get paid for. Now, off to find a hood I like and a good body shop in the STL area. Fun fun...

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Ford,

Let me benefit you with my experience. I hit a deer with a Death Wish just after New Year's. First, the ins. co., here after called bums, will herd you to a shop where they have a prenegotiated deal with. Second, you will only be offered OEM parts, and the hood will be "recycled" from a junkyard.

My advice, from experience, is line up your own shop. In fact, contact Racecougar, I think he's pretty close to you. He's got a shop, and would definitely have parts available to fix your bird. Get 3 or 4 estimates and get the best check you can get from the bums, then buy the parts you want.

Cervini doesn't have a hood for the 95. Legendary has hoods, but expect to spend about $300 over the estimate for a recycled hood.

Get the body work done before you do a deal on the paint. I don't know if Rod (Racecougar) paints cars or not.

Expect your bird to be down a week, so have alternate transportation available.

·
Koolbreeze
841 Posts
Does it look anything like this?:

Welcome to my world. :D :D

If you tell 'em what was modified on the car, they should replace the trick parts. Tell 'em how much they cost and how long they've been on there (they'll probably ask) and it'll even up the value of the car. Literally anything you've done to improve the car will help. It REALLY helps to have reciepts though. Some of my new parts saved my car more than once. The insurance co's are better about that kind of thing than you might think.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PCD- Thanks for the tips. I forgot about Rod. He's in Imperial, so that's not far. And I am gathering info today about if I can line up my own shop or not. Def. want to go w/ a fiberglass hood. No way I'm forking $600 for an OEM one, and I don't want a junkyard one. I'm just picky like that. I'll PM Rod and see what can be done. Couldn't hurt to ask. And yea, I'll def. be getting the paint done AFTER everything is completed body-wise.

Andy- So you're the one I couldn't remember,lol! Well, kinda, if you take away the rumple in the hood over the drivers' side headlight area, and put the headlight assem. loosly into the hole where it belongs, then ya, it does. I just got the fax of a copy of my invoice from Dan Newman for all the Cobra parts I put on it, in Feb.:rolleyes: Didn't even make it 6 months. I really hope this goes the way I want it to. All I really want is the body fixed, new rad./fan, a nice new Cobra R hood, and new paint for the hood, roof, and trunk lid. After that, I'm back where I was gonna be in a few months anyway. Just sucks the way I may have to go about getting there. Oh well, life goes on. At least my wife was ok. Now on to my "other" love- my bird.:D

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Ford...

Be careful with the Ins. Co, Fubarian's 95 LX was totalled after slightly kissing a wall with the rearend. You may end up having more in damages than the car is worth. If this is the case the Ins. Co will total the car.

As for the parts that you modded on the bird, the advise from my Ins. Co is to make sure that you have all of the receipts for the parts that you modded. The Ins. Co will be able to then not only reimburse you for the stock prices, but will add on the differance between stock and modified.

Sorry bout the luck.....

Josh

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's alright. Was bound to happen sometime or another. I'm just glad it wasn't w/ another car.

Update:

Talked to the insur. co. and they said that since it was a deer, it is covered under my comprehensive, so my deduct is only $250, and my claim will NOT raise my premium.

They will re-install/pay for the Cobra parts as long as I can show proof/receipts that they were on the car when it was damaged. Free rad./fan for me:D

They are basically going to evaluate it, cut me a check in my name for the damage, and I can use any body shop I choose.

Since they are going to quote me for the price of an OEM hood, that cost will be included in the price. I even asked about a custom hood, and she said it won't matter because they will still quote it as if I am going to buy the OEM version. So I may yet be able to get my R hood. If I play my cards right, I may even have enough money to get the paint done, as I am prob. going to do the fitment of the hood myself. If this all works out right, and I am correct, then what I plan to do is fix the parts myself w/ junkyard parts, and rebend the lower rad. support back into shape, and then just put new body clips back into the front cover. I'll re-order the cobra rad. and re-install myself. I would save a lot of this $$ doing it this way, and then just have it re-painted. Or I could get greedy and call AED, but, I need the body to be clean before any go-fast goodies get in there. Well, hope this is truly a good ending to a nightmare.

OT: What is the best (as in company/quality) Cobra R hood for the 95's?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts