TCCoA Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Somewhere in the midst of the doldrums of this forum, a discussion rages on between two venders. To those who have been here for a while, this is nothing new, and you probably know the story and have sided one way or another. That however is irrelevant to what I am posting about.

One of the replies caught my eye, and it made me quite furious.

NotToBeNamed said:
Wow this is crazy. I don't care about all the fighting and just want to know what the outcome was. My tranny is having similar problems and it wasn't built by either of you. Please update this when you get a chance. Not trying to be rude but we don't need to know who has the bigger penis. Please take this to PM's. This is why some people give up on their cars because they come here looking for questions and have to read through internet fighting. We all know that both of you guys do great work so please just end this.
How do you KNOW either of them do great work? Both have sold products, but their knowledge is up to speculation.

Now, I wonder—how might we go about finding out if they actually KNOW what they talk about???

OH! I’ve got it!! LETS MAKE THEM ARGUE IN PM’s! It’s brilliant! It helps EVERYONE because we ALL get to see if they have the mechanical knowledge of how things work to be able to produce a worthy product!!! That’s how pm’s work, right?? PRIVATE messages mean EVERYONE gets to share in the knowledge, right??

Seriously dude, we have two potentially competitive vendors debating rather civilly about very similar products. Many of the members of this community and other communities will likely have to choose between one of these venders or the other. Any halfwit of a person SHOULD want to know if their vendors actually know what they are talking about.

Heck, look at the presidential elections. Are you going to be stupid and pick one without even hearing a debate? Now what if the candidates were almost identical on all of their viewpoints, and the differences between them weren’t clear? Who would you vote for then? Would you vote for Candidate A because you like way the light from the sun shimmers off of their eyebrows? Or are you going to vote for them just because your mentally handicapped friend voted for them? Seems like a great plan of action to me!

If a vendor is compitent enough to assemble a custom built transmission, they should be able to explain their rationality on their methods, and be able to fully elaborate on how things are working IF THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT. After all, assembling transmissions is a much more complicated job than assembling coherent sentences. It shouldn’t be too difficult for them. Last time I checked, english class started in first grade.

That’s my main beef with internet forums. You have two vendors debating, or a vendor and a forum member who get in an argument, and even if the argument is civil, it is eventually shut down by the moderators, and typically deleted.

All I’m saying is to LET them work it out. This is FREE knowledge to us! It gives us insight into the transmissions we are running, as well as a glimpse into how the people who are building them actually THINK.

To the original poster:
Wow this is crazy. I don't care about all the fighting and just want to know what the outcome was. My tranny is having similar problems and it wasn't built by either of you.
It seems to me that you want to be spoon fed a solution. Look dude, the thread belongs to somebody else, and your transmission was built buy a party that is completely out of the picture. The world doesn’t revolve around you. Make your own thread or confront whoever built your faulty transmission and quit being a wuss.

This is why some people give up on their cars because they come here looking for questions and have to read through internet fighting.
OMG THE FIGHTING ON THE INTERNET! It makes me not want to learn how to fix my car!!! The people on the forums—They disagree with each other! How in the world am I supposed to fix MY problems when there is SHEER CHAOS on the INTERNET! Oh dear! Woe was me!

If arguing between two people whom you have never dealt with has caused you to utterly give up, then you fail at life. It’s as simple as that. You’re on your own bud. Finding a solution on the internet is luck, and the easy way out. There are always these things called books out there to help you understand how things really work.

And yes, I know I’m mean. Deal with it. It’s sickening to be part of the same species as people who are too pathetic to READ, LEARN, and ARGUE for what they know is right. Did I miss the memo about everyone in the world turning into a coward, afraid to get their hands dirty? Christ, people. Your ancestors would be ashamed.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Just for the record. You are now officially on the list of 'people I like' and I don't care if you think I am a complete dick or not. I totally agree with your way of thinking on this issue.

I have for the most part done as little of this as possible via PM. I like for what I say to be out there for everyone else to see.

Darrin

·
Registered
174 Posts
I agree debating is a very good way to get tons of info. I don't know the thread this was taken from but sometimes people get into plan old fights and it turns to ad hominem arguments keep that crap to PM's. The technically stuff I love to read through.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
i like how you take his name out, and then throw it right back in there. props ;)

and this battle has been going for a good while.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Silenced, nice thread. I totally agree with almost everything you said, which is pretty rare for me. :)

As far as the Vendor War (TM) goes, I respect both of these guys, and wish both the best, and hope somehow that both can figure out their differences.

Both have helped me considerably in my quest to learn something about these cars; I could not have replaced my first transmission without someone to answer questions.

Business sometimes kills friendships... That's part of the personal cost of ownership, IMHO.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Who cares, leave the drama at home
I have to agree. It seem's every other forum (some times here) i see a lot of name calling from one of the parties (not going to say who, that person know's who I'm talking about.) Were not in high school any longer. Debating is one thing but some of the stuff i see hear and other forums when it comes to one of these vendors is just ridicules. I understand that you all are competing, but no real reason to act like were in high school. Both parties have good insight and both do good work there's just no reason to carry on. I just hate Drama, were not teenage girls let's not act like it please.
But that just my .02
Michael

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Here is the problem with this theory. I have nearly 16 years in the transmission business. Mostly torque converter but realistically there are not many transmissions I haven't seen. I have seen the worst rip-off you could imagine that make the thing DR did seem nice. I have seen incredible deals and the customers throw a fit feeling ripped off. I have removed transmissions from vehicles that were already in pieces before I started. I feel I have nothing to gain from someone who has been doing this for 3 years max. On a relatively low level at that. It is always "my" knowledge in question because it is desired. I don't claim to be the "know it all" who has never had a problem with a part. Any Professional knows that in this business stuff breaks, the unexplained happens and crap still stinks. The very existance of this debate in a thread started by someone who had a transmission problem is retarded. If you want a debate start a thread and ask for it.
I don't choose to debate and teach any longer. Especially to a person who has ruthlessly stalked me across multiple forums, Ripped me off and invested more time in belittling me than doing anything else over the past couple years. Honestly I think Lonnie is a Loonie, but I have 10 times the respect for him as I do Darrin. Brute forcing me into a debate is not the best plan. You catch more flies with sugar than you do salt.
I choose to be left alone. This very stupid crap is ruining the tech on these boards. Myself and another transmission guy who frequent these boards are both leary of helping anyone because we get followed with someone wanting to bad mouth us and learn from us at the same time.
Alan

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,522 Posts
Indeed. Debating is fine, arguing is not. I believe that there's quite a difference between the two - one is calm and civilized, the other resembles 12 year old girls going at it. Yes, I'm fine with watching debates in the forums because yes, it is enlightening to see how each person thinks and see what they know. But when it gets out of hand, I (and I'm sure others) just start ignoring things - and who learns from that?

·
Registered
469 Posts
The very existance of this debate in a thread started by someone who had a transmission problem is retarded. If you want a debate start a thread and ask for it.
I agree i think your business is your business no reason for some one else to jump into it. That thread was not intended to be a debate and shouldn't be.
this very stupid crap is ruining the tech on these boards. Myself and another transmission guy who frequent these boards are both leary of helping anyone because we get followed with someone wanting to bad mouth us and learn from us at the same time.
Alan
This is why arguing/name calling is only hurting this forum as well as other's.

Indeed. Debating is fine, arguing is not. I believe that there's quite a difference between the two - one is calm and civilized, the other resembles 12 year old girls going at it. Yes, I'm fine with watching debates in the forums because yes, it is enlightening to see how each person thinks and see what they know. But when it gets out of hand, I (and I'm sure others) just start ignoring things - and who learns from that?
I couldnt agree more.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have to agree. It seem's every other forum (some times here) i see a lot of name calling from one of the parties (not going to say who, that person know's who I'm talking about.) Were not in high school any longer.
DirtyD0g said:
Lonnie is a Loonie
Is this what you're talking about?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
The original point of this thread was exceptional and now it has gone to the crapper by people steering perception.

Seems like that always comes from one camp too. The one that won't ever bother to even attempt to prove any claim that they make or back up anything that they say with any facts at all and don't ever bring anything to these discussions that could be really good technical discussions other than more comments made only to attempt to steer perception.

Why is it so hard to tell the truth and prove what you say when you take the time to say it?

That just amazes me beyond belief. LOL

Darrin

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Is this what you're talking about?
Oh Ryan, you're just pissed cause you drove all the way up and spent a ****load of money on a dirty poochie trans and vertor, only to find out that it wasn't cutting the job against your stock engine, and had to have it went through AGAIN to handle the real power you're putting down now.

Lonnie is a Loonie... wow. I think if someone was working on MY trans, I would want them to have a little more intelligence than using 3rd grader insults. If you had a drop of integrity at all, you would keep your mouth shut... but you use every chance you get to down on these people. It's okay though, play the wronged good guy... no one can see through it at all. :rolleyes:

-Joel

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
When you aren't stalking me I leave you alone. How about you go take care of your customer and leave mine alone.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45758
Alan
As I mentioned clearly in that other thread. That man made me attempt to repair a transmission from another company and would not let me take out the problem parts to build it my way. I told him when he picked it up that there was no warranty or even any sort of guarantee that it would work at all and Lonnie was standing there to vouch for that.

But, that transmission did work. The rebuilt PI torque converter did not.

Get your facts straight.

I said that there was one customer that I couldn't make happy and that is him. This is old news and he didn't purchase a transmission from me. he paid for a repair that I told him I would not stand behind if he made me do it his way instead of mine.

Darrin

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have a lot more if you are interested.

Darrin
I agree you both do a lot of name calling. The Thread is about Alan's customer, its his business. It shouldn't have turned out how it did and i feel bad for 89tird. I could pull some of the thing's you have said about him from hear and other forum's but there really is no point. He has said stuff about you as well. That's why its not a debate but arguing and belong's in PM's or not at all. I dont expect everyone to agree with me but that just my opinion. I have a feeling this thread is going to be no different than the other.

Michael

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.