TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everybody think of rats rods?

Here are some of my favorites:

I really like the color styling of this one. The all blacked out, with white walls.

For the Ford fans.

I like this except for the chop on the roof, mainly the front part where is angles down.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Mikey likes!

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
i love rat rods

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I think I've seen some of those very ones at the World of Wheels car show in KC this year. I'm still undecided.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
i would like em just for cali they dont get smogged no cats no limiters no bs

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I like them, but I really dont like the leaving it rusty / old worn looking fad.:rolleyes: Primer and stuff is fine with me, at least its one color and it kind of fits them but uggg the rust is not cool.

I just love the idea of it being cheap and really easy to work on without having to worry about emission and inspection BS.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want one like that bottom one, but blacked out like the top. Where would you even start on a project like this. I mean where would you get the car? It seems like anyone who post the car for sale knows it could make a cool resto or rat rod, so the price is more than I'd want.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
My problem with Rat Rods (or seriously customized cars in general) is that very, very often they look impressive, sound loud, win lots of awards, but can't be even be driven a mile.

How many times have you seen this: SBC, 8-71 supercharger, 13:1 compression, dual carburetors being fed by an engine mounted mechanical fuel pump through 3/8" fuel lines, chromed brake rotors, or nice shiny chromed headers (because they have about 10 minutes of total run time on them)?

IMHO, if you can't drive it to/from work because it will A) overheat; B) foul the plugs; C) break the transmission; D) the suspension can’t handle the power; E) the brakes can’t handle the power; F) the tires can’t handle the power, etc., etc., etc., then just put a suitcase of $100 bills on the trailer and say, “Oo Oo, look at me, I have lots of money”.

Every one of those “vehicles” shown would be dangerous on the highway, let alone they are not even vaguely street legal.

Yes, I hate trailer queens (unless they are extremely rare/valuable cars where driving them would decrease their value), and sorry, but those cars don’t do anything for me.

You asked. :zwall: :D

·
smoothed and filled red pearl 94
631 Posts
94- i agree wth most of what you said when its applied to cars like this seen at regular car shows. especially trailer queens... total garbage. now if you go to a rat rod show you will see nothing but daily drivers that will run all day long and didnt cost **** to build (frequently less than 5000 all told). rat rods are all about doing it on the cheap.
how would all of those be dangerous on the highway? the one with the blower is unsafe (visibility) but the others are fully legit if you ask me. definately safer than a bike or smartcar, right? i can almost guarantee you they are all street legal, too.

-John

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
94- i agree wth most of what you said when its applied to cars like this seen at regular car shows. especially trailer queens... total garbage. now if you go to a rat rod show you will see nothing but daily drivers that will run all day long and didnt cost **** to build (frequently less than 5000 all told). rat rods are all about doing it on the cheap.
how would all of those be dangerous on the highway? the one with the blower is unsafe (visibility) but the others are fully legit if you ask me. definately safer than a bike or smartcar, right? i can almost guarantee you they are all street legal, too.

-John
Yeah, those types of cars, I would definitely like to see; just ordinary people using ingenuity to make a hot rod as long as they are safe.

From a legality standpoint, I think all cars have to have (at the very least) fenders (no open wheels), turn signals front and rear, and functional wipers. But don't quote me on that. :thumbsup:

From a safety standpoint, I worry about the brakes and suspension vs the power that some of those cars could put out. I've owned/driven a supercharged 351C-4V in a Fox Mustang, with 225 60 15's and "dangerous" would be an appropriate term!! :beek:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
For me, I like to see a nicely put together/fixed up car. Trailer Queens don't really do it for me. I don't mind if a cool car has a couple of paint issues or have dings, it makes them more interesting. I love hearing about what people's next step for the car (what parts they use, where they got them, ect).

However, I do like to see a cool beater every once in awhile.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like these because they are pretty anti trailer queen. If some one slammed their door into one, GOOD, it adds to the "character" of the car. There is nothing to worry about on these car, except for maybe safety on the highway or something, and I imagine they would be easy to steal because of how simple they are. I really want on of these. The only problems are money and space.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,470 Posts
They are unique, no doubt. I don't mind them so much, but what everyone's saying about trailer queens and such is something I definitely agree with. If you can't have fun with it on the road, what's the point?

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,379 Posts
The ironic thing is most of those "rat rods" are trailer queens.

The builders today intend for them to look beat up like that from the start don't even get put onto the road(car shows) until their done(like the fancy show hotrods) rather than being a work in progress like the true hot hods of the 50's and 60's (those I respect). Those were built for cheap speed and nothing more.

And I don't know how having paint on a car = trailer queen.:confused:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts