TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some searching last night for pictures of rattle can jobs, but the pictures sort of....vanish if the thread is old. So does anyone have pictures of a rattle can job that worked out for them and can they share any tips. Thanks alot.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I am able to show you some pics then you'll understand, and its not the whole car anyway, just the roof. Theres bascially no paint up there.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
is it the money keeping you from using real paint? You could get a quart of paint and some clear, even if it was a lower line like Omni, i would suggest the result would be better and last longer than a rattle can. I don't know how you will get any thickness out of a rattle can clear. some base coat clear coat can't be put in a rattle can as a single stage

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
In my case it is not having access to a paint booth and/or air compressor system that will spray properly (i.e. nice and dry). :thumbsup:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its not so much the money as it is the access to the right tools, and a booth. I just something where I can put her in the garage and then spray away.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I couldnt get the best pictures because its only a camera phone, but thats pretty much whats going on. I would sand it down and then prime and then spray it down.

·
Registered
824 Posts
my enitire primer was done by rattle can.. lol.. i'm cheap..

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yea I had saw your car when I was on cardomain and again on rate my ride or something I think. How is it doing now, and how much did the Maaco job cost. Your car looks pretty good.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Teal94TBirdV8, that does look pretty good. I've been wanting to do mine in primer black. I have a little bodywork to do though, so I'm going to price it at a local shop first.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I didnt feel like buying a new bumper cover for the z26 before I sold it, so I fiberglassed the back side of the crack and bondoed the front. Dark grey primer and two different spray cans of color from autozone. You cant even tell until you look directly at that spot close range.
You can get a spray gun pretty cheap somewhere I'm sure. You could probably just get acrylic enamel single stage and spray it on pretty cheap. I used limco basecoat/clearcoat on my bird with spray gun and a homemade paint booth worked great except for the orange peel. Damn dirty spray gun
-Rob

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
loudpedal99 said:
I've been wanting to do mine in primer black.
If you are planning on flat black out of a rattle can, plan on it looking like crap, its hard enough to make flat black look straight out of a gun......if you are going to do rattle cans do a light color and use a non fast drying paint, a paint that doesnt fast dry evens itself out if u overlap it, just like the real thing, but you get what is called hot spots with a fast drying paint, in other words, there will be lines where the paint dries, and it will be darker where it overlaps, no matter how thick u lay a fast dry on, its till gonna look like that....and dont try to do just a spot on a panel, if you need to fix a spot with a rattle can, its easiest to do the whole panel because feathering a rattle can paint into a 2 stage is nearly impossible.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
If your gonna use a rattle can buy the one stage stuff that has the clear mixed in with the paint (I think thats how its done, though someone else may know for sure) used this on my Ranger to fix a small rust spot on the A pillar. Looked good except the new paint obviously didnt have the fade of the factory stuff. Just lightly sand and polish it and you can get it to match good enought that unless you know where the paint is and look closely you wont notice. I just bought a can of touch up from Canadian Tire for it and it looked pretty good. Or if you want, go to an auto body supply store and they can make up a spray can with the factory color. Though you need to buy clear coat for this option. (And this way is alot more expensive, cost me 35 bucks for both for the Grand Marquis)

·
Registered
7,758 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Whoa, way to sunny in that SC for me. That looks like overkill. Where can I find a non fast drying paint, I live in sort of a small town so there isnt much by the way of auto body supply stores and what not.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
LOL man now that dash in the SC is some ugly ****!!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Looks alot like the local ricers that paint the interiors in strange colors.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts