TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a rattle up front that is more pronounced under braking. I checked for play in the ball joints and tie rods and they have zero slop. The calipers are also tight. I did noticed the strut rod bushings are rock hard like the thermo plastic ones.
When I strike the strut rod at the frame end with a rubber mallet I hear a metallic sound. I am pretty sure the PO replaced these already but if so, probably with crap plastic ones.
So I want to replace the E9SZ3A187A and E9SZ3A140A, E9SZ3A140B bushings to see if that fixes the rattle.

My question is what brand to buy.

·
Super Moderator
11,414 Posts
That rattle is the sway bar endlinks. :)
I had a hell of a time finding it, on lazarus, back when I got it in '99.
I finally said "zzzzzfuck it" and was replacing the ball joints, and the pos rattled when I took it loose to replace it.
I was basically shotgunning the whole ******* front end until I found the damn noise, lol.
I would recommend the ACDELCO links, or other parts, they bought Raybestos awhile back.
They last if you grease them regularly. I'm 10 years in on the ones on Lazarus, and they've been thru hell. :)

These:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip Grog. I'll do it.
I had that rattle on the 1995 I had way back. On that white '95 it rattle all the time. It was the sway bar links in that case.
With this greenbird it doesn't rattle over bumps and only a little under normal driving. Still it could be the cheap sway bar links that came with the 14 piece kit the PO installed.
I will order some new links first as it is a easy job and see if that helps.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it is clearly a rattle. two 45G0102 links ordered and on their way.
:) Thanks all.

·
Super Moderator
11,414 Posts
Yeah; the stock links don't have grease fittings, so they're toast in about 3 years Every one I've taken out has one end frozen in place, and the other end rattling freely.

I hit those and the ball joints, and all the poly in the rear at every oil change. I ended up buying a separate grease gun for the poly; energy supension recommends a silicone grease.

·
Super Moderator
11,414 Posts
The "sealed for life" TRW endlinks have really crappy boots too, they're absurdly stiff for the kind of articulation they do, they open up in months
Yeah, I've learned that "lifetime guarantee" or Sealed" means you replace that POS every year or so, lol.

·
Super Moderator
5,623 Posts
Yeah, I've learned that "lifetime guarantee" or Sealed" means you replace that POS every year or so, lol.
I always thought that meant that if it failed, it'd kill you ...

RwP

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now I am hearing a squeak up front. That 14 piece kit must be crapola. Hoping it's sway bar bushings but I am thinking I have to build the front suspension with quality parts.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,483 Posts
Yeah all those multi-piece kit deals are junk. Best way to tackle it is start accumulating higher-end parts and replace it all at once. Motorcraft stuff isn't available most of the time anymore but just about anything with a recognizable brand name is better than "bargain basement" brand x. Just avoid the budget lines (e.g. "R" series from Moog, etc.)

·
Super Moderator
11,414 Posts
My old school buddies cringe when I order ACDelco parts; "those are chevy parts!!"
They're the old high quality raybestos stuff.

Reactions: RalphP

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used to be that way not long ago. I ordered two ACDELCO 45G25054 from rock auto. Only got one because it is out of stock. I did find one on ebay so I ordered that. This $hit is getting hard to find.

The two ac delco end links are on the way. Slowly collecting all the parts one piece at a time.

Reactions: RalphP

·
Super Moderator
5,623 Posts
One other brand that causes my Mopar friends to cringe (the "Mopar or Nocar" folks. Silly, that is.)

I'm running Proforged parts in the front of my 1988 Dakota right now; they're doing great, and have for over 40,000 miles. On a truck design known for eating ball joints like a fat boy goes after Klondike bars 😁

Proforged parts are mostly made in Taiwan, or used to be anyway. They, however, have had good reviews in the Camaro and Corvette groups, so ... eh.

That, and ACDelco seem to be keeping the Dodge on the road 😝

RwP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts