TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 t-bird lx. 4.6 liter engine.
I have the car up now on ramps to inspect for the rattle that has developed a on bumps on the right side rear. I have checked the sway bar end links as it sounds like a heavy washer rattling against something. Almost the way a strut rod bushing washer would rattle against the nut if the bushing went bad. Anyway, I am going to pull the drum, although the hardware and shoes were just replaced. I have checked for play in the springs, the struts look ok and there is not sway or squeaking or excessive bounce on the back end. The exhaust and hangers are new and not hitting anything. The differential is mounted properly, and not loose.
The wheel bearing hubs are new too. Not sure where to start. Any ideas. Any and all help appreciated.
~Zep

·
Super Moderator
10,588 Posts
Upper inner control arm bushing; I'll bet it's gone. :)

The same one on my black Cougar disintegrated and disappeared.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've had a knocking in the rear for a while now. It occurs when I go over speed bumps or potholes.

I bought a pair of toe link compensators a while back, but haven't gotten around to installing them yet. The rubber on the old ones seemed to be in pretty sad shape.

I haven't examined the bushings, but now I wonder if that's what's knocking on mine instead of the toe links. I don't look forward to removing and pressing in those rear bushings.

·
Super Moderator
10,588 Posts
If you park your car flat, and put one foot on the top of the rear tire, and rock the car hard sideways with your foot, you can get it to clunk.

Actually looking is better. :D

My problem was the rr, ymmv. :)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
yep, get down and grab hold of that tire and shake it hard. if theirs any movement at all that isn't also moving the rest of the car, then you've got bushings and things gone.

i had an upper spindle bushing out on mine that rattled and knocked on bumps, when i grabbed the top of the tire and pulled in/pushed out, it had a good 1/16" of play.

set of energy suspension polys later and all is well.

that and one of my swaybar links had disintegrated inside the upper round connection to the bar. it was rattling quite badly, but looked and felt fine till i wailed on it with a prybar. then as i was taking them off, i got the usual twist off, and most of the threaded rod inside the rubber grommets was rotten down to toothpick size.

and yes, the upper inside bushings are quite an odd design. moog actually updated them so their solid rubber mounted, and the cam adjust is still done inside a alum sleeve down the middle of the rubber.

old ones were an alum sleeve with grease filled cam adjust, slid inside a outside metal shell with a few small rubber bits in between. they do tend to wear out.

·
Registered
408 Posts
1set of energy suspension polys later and all is well.
What about lifespan, though? I personally have been using rubber (usually OEM) wherever I can, as I've had bad luck with thermoplastics getting smushed and cracking to bits in very short order. But, one brand might be far superior to others or perhaps the technology has matured and I didn't get the memo. Or maybe it's just this Texas heat that does them in.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I have a 94 t-bird lx. 4.6 liter engine.
I have the car up now on ramps to inspect for the rattle that has developed a on bumps on the right side rear. I have checked the sway bar end links as it sounds like a heavy washer rattling against something. ~Zep
Just replace the end links, and go from there. Replacing them on both my cars fixed the rattling noise.

Al

·
Super Moderator
10,588 Posts
For my rear endlinks, I bought the cheap kit at Advanced for ricers, that has large poly bushings for <20 bucks, 4x ~1.5"large pieces of poly.

I cut out pieces that I could press into my old endlinks, and all is good many miles later. I managed to get two bushing out of each piece, so far.

Here in TN, we don't get the "twist off" effect; my threads and all are great. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts