TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when going over bumps and turns I hear this anonying rattle sound.

anyone know what it might be? problem a milion things but I'd like to rule out breaks. there were recently serviced.

I have a 1994 and a 1996 sport that does this. The 94 i'm not gonna put alot of $$ into. but the 96 i want to fix.

TIA!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had a rattle when the car went from side to side, and it turned out to be Sway bar end links...(after the shop tried to get me to buy strut bushings). All i did was take them out to see if that was it, and no more rattle....still haven't put new ones in yet through...there like 33 bucks at the dealer....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TxCoUg said:
I had a rattle when the car went from side to side, and it turned out to be Sway bar end links...(after the shop tried to get me to buy strut bushings). All i did was take them out to see if that was it, and no more rattle....still haven't put new ones in yet through...there like 33 bucks at the dealer....
i think my swaybar is fine but I could be wrong too! It seems like it happens when I go straight forward over bumps too. Not just side to side movement.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Did it start after the brake job? If so, they probably left out the anti-rattle clips. My 94 did that and it drove me up the wall. Everything worked fine, but it would sound like something was going to fall off the front end. :beek:

Good luck! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
Did it start after the brake job? If so, they probably left out the anti-rattle clips. My 94 did that and it drove me up the wall. Everything worked fine, but it would sound like something was going to fall off the front end. :beek:

Good luck! :thumbsup:
dunno ;) just bought this car about 48 hours ago. defintely will have that checked.

·
Registered
708 Posts
its missing the anti rattle clips in the brakes. notice it wont rattle over bumps with the brakes on. its the most annoying sound to ever come from my car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It could be the brakes,

I have also had the end links go on mine oh about 3 times..
They look ok when they are on. but if you take them off they usually are really really loose..

Mine happened mostly over tracks and bumps

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
If the rattle is a fast "dunk-a-dunk-a-dunk" sound that occurs over stretches of irregular pavement, it's probably your sway bar end links. Like jbird6r said, they can look fine, but be really weak. To replace them, you will probably need a special ball joint separator - it has 2 arms with a bolt that forces them apart. You will probably not be able to do the job with a pickle fork-type or press-type separator due to clearance issues. I bought my separator from Napa for about $20.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
S_Mazza said:
If the rattle is a fast "dunk-a-dunk-a-dunk" sound that occurs over stretches of irregular pavement, it's probably your sway bar end links. Like jbird6r said, they can look fine, but be really weak. To replace them, you will probably need a special ball joint separator - it has 2 arms with a bolt that forces them apart. You will probably not be able to do the job with a pickle fork-type or press-type separator due to clearance issues. I bought my separator from Napa for about $20.
thats exactly what it is. do you know how much it'd cost me to have a shop do it? I'm not too mechanically inclined *yet*. Is it a hard job or just requires specialty tools?

Let me know about how much I should pay if I have it done in a shop.

Thx for the help.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Hey, sorry it took so long for a reply. I think an endlink replacement should cost about $220 at a shop. If you do it yourself, it will probably cost $75 in parts, plus money for the tool, if you go that route. It's not a hard job with the right tools. Without them, I would say it's impossible. You can probably do it with a set of box wrenches and the ball joint separator tool. If you don't have box wrenches, you could probably use a ratchet set like the GearRatchet that I have (the head has a hole that lets it fit over bolts - very handy).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts