1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my catalyticos are rattling like crazy

meineke told me $250 for one universal installed

I know I'll need two after 183,000 miles

also last year when the bird was inspected the guy had told me it was just passing

is there a way to hollow out the cats or something just to make the noise go away?

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
If you hollow out the cats it will bring you from "Just passing" to "not Passing"

Are you sure it's the cat itself rattling and not the heat shield.

What I do to check is put the car up on jack stands and tap the exhaust up and down with a rubber mallet until I find the exact point of the rattle.

So far on my car it was both heat shields, the clamp rotted off the resonator and the screw came loose to the hanger. all three were separate occurrences.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the guy put the car on the lift, banged on both of the pipes and was like you need the cat for the right side

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
hollowing them out will fail you....

I probably is just the heat shields.. but if you barely passed than before and they have never been changed than its time to replace them

screw that 250 each non-sense summitracing.com has the whole y pipe by magnaflow, direct fit, all three cats, and you could do it yourself, no cutting or welding required for $293, but call them on the shipping cost

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My car will never fail inspection ;)

chris my car is a n/a v6 though

·
Registered
47 Posts
you may just want to tinker around down there and wiggle heat shields especially.

one of the heat shields i had broke and started to rattle real bad, all i did was put some hose clamps on it and its fine... though my cats are crap and need to go anyways

1 - 10 of 10 Posts