TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Last night I took the bird out and thought I smelled fuel. I was parked next to a beater so I kind of dismissed it. Today, I turned the car on in my driveway to move it and smelled it again so I know it's leaking fuel somewhere. The key is where??

I took a really good look around the injector o-rings(replaced them when I replaced the intake), I looked around the intake, the schrader valve, the 'crossover tubes' that go from rail to rail, the lines at the filter, and the visable fuel lines going into the engine bay and did not see a leak at all. :confused:

Is there a common spot that I'm missing that would have a leak. It's definately coming from the engine bay around the engine. I also smell it in the vent when the heater is on. Drives me nuts cause I transfered the plates off my Bull to put on the Tbird yesterday cause the plates expired today. Now this....... and of course 12" of snow coming tomorrow night through Monday so the winter 'fun' ensues.

·
Super Moderator
10,294 Posts
Evap hoses are toast, unless you've replaced them.

There are 5 short pieces; there's a good post here somewhere.

The hard to get to one is in the passenger inner fenderwell. :)

(The one behind the wheel, under the liner.)

·
Super Moderator
10,294 Posts
The line in the fenderwell rarely causes problems.

Maybe the Diaphragm is bad in the fuel regulator, letting fuel vapor into the vacuum system?

:confused:

·
Registered
158 Posts
The line in the fenderwell rarely causes problems.

Maybe the Diaphragm is bad in the fuel regulator, letting fuel vapor into the vacuum system?

:confused:
I had a similar issue a while back and got lucky on the first try changing the FPRR and the rubber vacuum hose going to it.

if the regulator and hose haven't been changed yet id do it just for maintenance purposes anyways.

Travis

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny enough I drove it earlier to get some gas and didn't smell it...... I guess it's something I'll have to dig a little deeper into once this snowstorm is over with.

·
Super Moderator
9,147 Posts
I had a similar issue with the Cougar a few months ago. Turned out one of the fuel lines between the filter and where they go up the fenderwell had a small leak in it. Unfortunately I didn't realize that was the problem until one morning I went out to start the car after filling up the day previous, only to see I had 1/2 tank of gas! :eek: The "small leak" had gotten bigger on the ride home I figure, and it was dripping out all day/night - siphoning the gas tank dry. :mad:

·
Registered
1 Posts
had an f-150 return after changing the spark plugs, it didn't come back til it got cold, came back for fuel smell. the fix was to tighten down the spark plugs. tested it with a 5 gas-analyzer analyzer and though we pin-pointed it to the injector o-rings but replacing those didn't fix it. next thing was tightening the sp. plugs. that seemed to fix the problem. If you've already checked evap line check Fuel pressure regulator. if you pull the vacuum hose going to it and there is any fuel there than you have a leak and need a new regulator. a few quick checks for ya =]

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So today was a very nice winter NJ day and I figured I'd go out and dig into it a little more to see where the hell the leak was. I was quite aggrivated cause I parked it and was driving my wife's Windstar instead.

Gave it a better 'sniff test' and found it smelled on the drivers side. Remembering the above post, I sniffed the FPR, and the vacuum tube going to it..... nada..... Gave it 2 more key cycles and it smelled more twards the front of the fuel rail. Unplugged the injector harness and turned the injectors..... what do you know... Cyl #6 injector was slightly wet. So I pulled the fuel rail and found this...

In my splended stuper when I did the intake years ago I only replaced the lower O-rings being that the injectors stayed in the fuel rail so I didn't feel the need to replace them at that time. Replaced the O-rings, fired it up, and no more smell. I guess this would also explain why sometimes it takes an extra crank to start overnight cause it bleeds the prime out. I know what I'll be ordering and doing the next time I get some warm weather.........

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
Cool! Gotta love a cheap fix like that!

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Beats the fix I just did - replaced a failed fuel pump in the Dakota (a 1988 with 266,000 miles on it), and ... I think ONE rubber hose wasn't failing at the gas tank. I had also replaced the fuel lines into/out of the filter.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
10,294 Posts
There are some better materials available now for those orings; I bought a set that came with the new ones. :)

The new ones are multicolored, and will handle E85 or whatever; our stock butyl ones won't.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts