TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
RE: Help w/ Cougar Please!

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I have been reading this forum for quite some time.

I have a problem :0 I have a 97 XR7 30th Anniversary with the 4.6L V8. I purchased the car in July of this year with 126k on the odometer. It currently has 131,600. Anyway, when I purchased the car, the service engine soon light was on. I didn't think much (or ask) at the time what the problem was. When I took delivery of the car, they asked me 2 days later to bring the car back to do the emissions. I brought the car back, and it took them 3 DAYS to fix whatever the problem was. I tried to ask him many times what exactly was wrong, but all he told me was that a sensor was malfunctioning and they would fix it. It ended up passing emissions, but the light was still on when they gave the car back to me. I didn't purchase a warranty either. It drove fine and the gas mileage wasn't off at all, so I shrugged it off. But the car has had some work done to it. (Flowmaster cat-back, tinted windows, completely upgraded sound system)

The light was driving me crazy, so I went into an Autozone near my home and had them do the free check. The code that came up was the two O2 sensors aft of the converters. They were something like $67 a piece. At least I knew what the problem was now.

Last night, I was heading out to go on the highway to visit a friend and I stopped for gas. When I left the house, the car ran fine. As soon as I was ready to go, the car wouldn't start! After some investigation, I determined that it was the battery. So I pushed the car to the side and went to the Wal-Mart across the street to get a new one. The old battery was still under warranty at WM so I was okay with that ;) I put in the new battery and the car started. So as I was cleaning up and got into the car, I noticed that the service engine soon light was off! I idled for 10 minutes and rove home and let her idle some more. On the way home, she kind of spuddered and dropped rpm's a little. It seems like it's bogging down. I have recently checked my air filter and all of the other basics, but I haven't checked much else since then. I will be getting an oil change and a tune up in the next 2 weeks.

What could be the problem? Are the O2 sensors still need to be replaced? Is the idle in need of adjustment or what? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The rear 02 sensors just check to see if your cats are working, they don't mess with drivability. It's the front 02's that tell the computer the air/fuel ratio.

In fact most people delete the rear 02's when they go to aftermarket exhaust.

Most common things to cause that car to run rough would be,

Plugs, Wires, bad/dirty MAF, bad/dirty IAC valve, TPS

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
if your setting the mointor codes you usually have a cat problem

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of the replies. On my way to work today, the light came back on again. I haven't had a chance to look under the car to see if they modified the exhaust any. I know there are Flowmasters on there, but I haven't look anywhere else yet. If they are not there, what should I do? Get some MIL Eliminators or replace them with original stuff? I will look under the car and see what I'm working with. Anyone have some O2 Sensors they don't need? ;) I will also go to Autozone again and see what the code brings up this time. Thanks again. I am always reading the forums here and learning new things about my car everyday.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
well if you're city/state doesn't require emissions testing, just put MIL eliminators on and don't tell anybody your cats aren't working

but they may be clogged, which could cause the bad throttle response, the mentions a simple vaccum test procedure to see if you have clogged cats -

Or you could gut em and go mil eliminators

·
Registered
109 Posts
I went to autozone with a lean on banks one and two code. Most people would say O2's are the problem, and they quite possibly could be. The problem i had was a bad MAF, the guy at Autozone was actually a thunderbird guy, and had replaced his under the same problem. Although mine sputtered and higher rpms (3K+). After i got the new one in, it worked like a charm. I wouldn't just suggest spending $110 on a hunch though.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
First thing I would do is clean the MAF, then get someone to write down the actual codes in the EEC if still present. Then you can bring them to someone more knowledgable that a guy at autozone. Could be lots of things, but codes are first place to start looking.
-Rob

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. I appreciate your help. I will get it all done soon I hope!:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Okay,

I went to Advanced Auto Parts and got another diagnostic done. Here are the codes that came up...

P0402
EGR Flow Excessive

P0171
System Too Lean
(Bank 1)

P0174
System Too Lean
(Bank 2)

So, what do you guys think could be the problem. :confused: I jacked the car up and both of the rear O2 sensors are plugged in and seem okay. The driver's side sensor had some electrical tape around the wiring that connects it to the car's wiring. Could that be it also? Let me know what y'all think.

I am really wanting to fix this because my sister's boyfriend just bought a 97 Cougar XR-7 as well (with the v8) It accelerates like hell and it peels tires pretty easy (stock no less). He bought it from my neighbor for $1200. It's really clean too. White like mine, with the grey leather interior. Sport package, sunroof, pw drivers seat. I think I gave him the Cougar bug. :D

-Jason

1 - 11 of 11 Posts