TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
re: need help w/ iat sensor!

this problem has been giving me a CEL and i beleive it is effecting my cars performance...i had it scanned and it puts out code P0113 which relates to a high current flow from the iat sensor. the reason i have this problem is because like an idiot i purchased a "+20hp resistor" from ebay and jammed it into the pigtail of the iat sensor. i got a new pigtail from local ford shop and replaced it though it was identical but a little smaller so i had to shave some of the plastic off the iat sensor clip so it would fit(its now clipped in) i reset the computer w/ fuse #15 pulled and engine cranked and the CEL appeared again after 1hr of driving...PLEASE HELP!

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Have you priced an IAT sensor? If they are only $10 - $15 bucks, then why not just replace it?

If you are still getting the same code, then chances are the sensor is shot.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, its 13.99 just for the sensor (peice that clips into the pigtail) but i put the resistor inside and damaged the pigtail part to get the code.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no...but the cel came on right after i put in the resistor and i never did anything to the sensor. the sensor is now shaved (only on the outter plastic) so that it will fit in the new pigtail...same code as before PO113

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Here is a copy and paste from the Shop manual. This is the first list of things that should be checked. More to follow if you go this far.

A10 DTC P0118 OR P0113: SIMULATE OPPOSITE SIGNAL TO PCM

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0118 (ECT) or P0113 (IAT) indicates the sensor signal is greater than the Self-Test maximum. The maximum for ECT and IAT sensors is 4.6 volts or -46°F (-50°C).

Possible causes:

-- Open in harness (IAT or ECT).

-- Improper harness connection.

-- Damaged sensor.

-- Damaged PCM.

l Key off.

l Disconnect suspect temperature sensor.

l Connect a jumper wire between the sensor signal circuit and SIG RTN circuit at the temperature sensor vehicle harness connector.

l Scan Tool installed.

l Key on.

NOTE:
If a Scan Tool communication problem exists, remove jumper wire immediately and go to «DA12».

l Access ECT or IAT PID.

l Is the ECT or IAT PID less than 0.2 volts (greater than 248°F/120°C)?

Yes
REPLACE suspect sensor. REMOVE jumper wire. RECONNECT vehicle harness. RERUN «Quick Test».

No
REMOVE jumper wire. GO to «DA11».

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for your help! does the iat sensor have to be placed in the intake path? as of now it is sitting mounted beside the k&n cone...not inside of anything like it was in the air box. also, where can i buy new pigtails???

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
chromecoupe said:
thanks for your help! does the iat sensor have to be placed in the intake path?
Not sure on that one, but you don't want it sensing the engine compartment temperature.

also, where can i buy new pigtails???
Didn't you already buy one from a Ford Dealer?

Try an junkyard, or someone here parting out a Bird.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
put it in the intake path somewhere, be sure to seal it up good.
-Rob

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea, replaced the pigtail but it was a little small and why i had to shave some of the plastic off my sensor...guy just said "does it look like this? you can have it" not exact match. also, i used butt connectors putting it on rather than soldering the wires like i should...anywas, that didnt cause the initial CEL or code p0113 and i need it gone -=) im gonna buy a new sensor, replace the pigtail correctly, and place the iat in the intake path...should solve my problem?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts