TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking over an article written for re-wiring the harness to swap Coil packs for COP's .. even though the color codes are for 96/97 I believe, I am using a 94/95 wiring harness and I know which wires go to where, but I have another thing that I was wondering about.

The instructions say to wire the COP's in series, is there any reason to do this ?? Would it be possible to wire them parallel instead ? That way a + power could be ran to each COP, and then run two wires to the - coil trigger for the EEC ?

Thanks to anybody who has any information on this .

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
The short answer to your question is no. The eec is not responsible for the coil firing, the ignition control module (icm) is. There are limitations as to how much current the icm will sink (remember the ignition coil trigger is the ground from the icm) which in term limits you to driving cops in series. A couple msd dis4 units would be required to drive cops individually and you don’t even want to ask about reliability of those to a few folks around here. Series works fine as long as a power adder isn’t being used.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
yea, on pre-96 cars, the ignition module was external from the EEC...in the 96+ EECs, the EEC itself fired the coils, whether in waste-spark like in our cars, or true COP like 99+ GTs and 98+ CV/Marquis/Towncars

the only possible problem i see with parallel wiring is that it will draw double the current, and probably only a handful of people in the world will know the actual current (amperage) limitations of the EDIS module or EEC's built-in EDIS on the 96+ EECs....i personally didnt want to accidentally fry my EEC with parallel wiring if it indeed drew a lot more current

series wiring doesnt really hinder any voltage to the second coil, seeing as how primary windings have a very very low resistance.....positive voltage, even after passing thru the first coil's primary winding, goes unaffected and unreduced to the second coil......just do a mock up wiring setup and hook up a voltmeter, and you will quickly see this as i did on my working COP setup

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OKay .. makes sense. The coil packs are already wired so one power wire and trigger controls two spark plugs anyways.
I just want to make sure Im doing it right, since I am hacking up a wiring harness to make this thing work afterall.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Can anyone explain to me the advantages of a COP over the Dual Coil packs? (Other than cosmetic?) Dad has been selling Ford cargo vans and pickups for years now and he keeps COP's in stock because they are ALWAYS going bad.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No advantage .. just keeping it looking clean, and a little less weight. The Explorer engine I picked up came with COP's, so I decided to re-use them .. even though I have a brand new set of Ford racing spark plug wires .. :D

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
What color are your wires?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I tried running COP's on my 95 and it barely ran. I'd stick with wires on 95 and earlier cars. I really wanted to run COP's on my 03 Mach I motor, but I'm stuck with the DOHC wires because on the 95 system. :mad:

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You sure it was wired up correctly ? I dont see how a seperate Ignition control module would be any different than running directly to the PCM.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
well that's how i see it as well.....it's still just a negative trigger that is temporarily removed from the coils to induce the high-voltage spark at the plugs.....maybe he wired them up in parallel and found out the hard way....lol

did you take any pics of your COP setup, vegeta1181?

·
Registered
172 Posts
No, I don't believe had them wired up in parallel. My connections probably weren't very good though. I wanted to see if they would work before I made the connections permanent. I was told by some friends at a Ford dealership that wiring up COP's wouldn't work on a t-bird older than 96. So I never finished trying hook up COP's on my car. If anyone has a properly working COP's system on their 95 please let me know. I'd rather use my COP's setup than having wires everywhere.
Thanks,
DS

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
well i've here in my possession a "COP harness" ready to go.....just splice in some +12V and the 4 trigger wires from the EDIS module, and you will quickly see if it works or not....if it doesnt work, you can sell that harness to someone else....or maybe your COPs suck...in which case i have a complete set of brand new take-offs i could sell you too.....lol

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We'll see how it works after I wire put the engine into the car .. probably wont be for a few months or longer. Anybody else running COP's on a pre 96 ? I was thinking if it didnt work, I still have my stock coil's and new wires .. or I could change to the 96+ EEC.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmmm

I did a COP install and a 96/97 intake swap on my wife's 95 Tbird and all is well.

sorry, its somewhat of an inside joke involving a former forum member known for doing stoopid things.....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts