TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, would it be possible, a good advice, a wise thing to do, is get the tanks that you use to weld to put nitrous and use it in your car? I see why I could not be possible to do, what do you guys think?!

Israel

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Personally I wouldn't, as most gas cylinders are color coded. If you were in an accident or something and they popped your trunk and saw say a green tank they would think it was oxygen (for example). Also the valves on the tanks may be different as well (not sure). Plus, a full size tank weighs significantly more than a 10 lb nitrous bottle...which would be something you wouldnt want in racing and it would require a lot of tie down strength to hold it in place.

Joe

·
Registered
433 Posts
The only disadvantage I would see would be weight. It would be cool if you had an acetylene (sp?) cylinder in your trunk, nobody would think twice about you havin' any squeeze. But you could just hide the no2 bottle in the spare well, or in a batman duffle bag for instance. Just get a nitrous bottle, paint it black or red, and put an acetylene sticker on top of it. No one will know... hopefully. :)

·
Street Freekz
754 Posts
whitecoug said:
Personally I wouldn't, as most gas cylinders are color coded. If you were in an accident or something and they popped your trunk and saw say a green tank they would think it was oxygen (for example). Also the valves on the tanks may be different as well (not sure).
As a volunteer firefighter I wouldn't recommend using a tank except for what its purpose was intended for. If you would wreck and you had something in the tank other than what the tank color indicated it is a very big threat to safety personnel. We partly rely on the tank colors to identify what its contents are....

·
Registered
391 Posts
I would worry about gases mixing, I would guess that O2 and N2O would be ok together, but acetylene or something else could cause a reaction when mixed. :eek:

Another thing I would wonder about: would any reputable place even put N2O into a bottle that wasn't designed/labeled for the same? :confused:

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Reason I posted this is because the prices NItrous bottles are just to damn high, I aint paying $165 for a 10lbs nitrous bottle when I can get two tanks for welding purposes and use them as regular NOS bottles. That is why I posted this!

·
Street Freekz
754 Posts
Tx_Cat said:
Reason I posted this is because the prices NItrous bottles are just to damn high, I aint paying $165 for a 10lbs nitrous bottle when I can get two tanks for welding purposes and use them as regular NOS bottles. That is why I posted this!

Check on eBay if you want a Nitrous bottle for less & I still wouldn't advise putting anything in the tank/bottle other than what it is supposed to have in it......

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
VicRattlehead said:
nitrous is not cheap. if you think that, your stupid.
I never said or thought that nitrous was cheap, I said the bottle where. Read the post. I aint stupid. And I have checked on ebay.!

·
Street Freekz
754 Posts
I’d still go with eBay for a NOS bottle; just make sure the seller has legit feedback. NOS isn't extremely expensive but its not that cheap either. Long as it was $200-250 or less then I'd go for it!! Just my .02 again

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
musto said:
75hp for 200 bucks? 40 bucks to refill the tanks.

sounds pretty reasonable to me.
$40 again and again and again...

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
musto said:
75hp for 200 bucks? 40 bucks to refill the tanks.

sounds pretty reasonable to me.
bottle, lines, selanoids,fuel pump, tune, purge, heater, etc etc etc. lots more then 200 measly bucks.

·
Street Freekz
754 Posts
VicRattlehead said:
bottle, lines, selanoids,fuel pump, tune, purge, heater, etc etc etc. lots more then 200 measly bucks.
He was just asking about the NOS bottle. Its not cheap by any means for the entire set-up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts