TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so far looking about here and abroad i have drawn a conclusion to what i am about to ask , but i will anyway before i do something rash .............. i found a screaming deal on a really super nice 96 i think , mark 8 here . i've been looking and drooling , reading the 4 valve swap posts , etc.. and dreaming of ripping this beautiful dark blue rides guts and suspension out for my turd bird { named by the grandkids ! } . everything seems to be a relatively simple process if i don't rush , but my question is ... they are essentially a reskinned bird ? cougar right ???? if i buy im thinking about just performing a rear sub swap etc... and throwing the air ride in the trash . this thing runs , and it's an lsc , so it's got the 295 horse 4 valve and it's calling my name . just what i need another dain vehicle sitting around , ...............................:D oh yeah been reading info where people are using 'stang spindles etc, lower control arms on them , i thought are mn 12's were nothing like , could not swap 'stang stuff onto them outside of a few brake , hub and obviously driveline parts ....... so ..... can you enlighten me ??????????????????????:confused:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Yes, you can swap in the 4V Mark motor. There are plenty of posts/how-to's on this swap here. As far as the brakes/spindles, etc... you can swap the hubs to acheive the Mustang bolt pattern, otherwise you are stuck using the 5x4.25 bolt pattern that is shared with some FWD cars. Would be a good time to upgrade the brakes as well if you go that route. If you want a one-piece aluminum driveshaft, then look for one from a 93 Mark VIII. Then just stick some Spicer U-joints in it and call it a day.

Jay

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Are you against keeping the Mark VIII a Mark VIII, is there anything wrong with it, or do you just like the TBird better?

While I want to do an engine swap to the 4V in my Cougar since I like the body style, if I could get a Mark VIII cheap enough and all things specific to it are fine (blend door, molding around rear window, air suspension, extra electrical thingies like the neon, etc) then I would totally rock a Mark VIII.

Other things from the Mark VIII that are nice on the MN12 are like mentioned, the 93 single piece driveshaft, the aluminum lower control arms, aluminum IRS pumpkin.

While not much Mustang stuff will bolt on, nut much of the suspension, they are a good source for brake upgrades and hub swaps for more common bolt patterned wheels, even more so now that the 04+ Mustangs have lots of backspacing, like our cars.

·
Registered
917 Posts
my personal opinion: if the mark is in good condition, nice enough for you to be comfortable picking it up and not having to do much work to fix small little things here and there, i wouldn't turn it into a parts car. marks of all years, IMO, are amazing machines. i personally like my thunderbird better, but like Bangster said, if i found the right deal i'd go for it. now if the car's not in such great shape, and it's not worth it to you to fix her up, go for it and grab the motor.

as for the suspension, getting rid of the air suspension on the mark and replacing it with springs IMO is a turn in the wrong direction. i like the rigidity of springs myself, but the air suspension on a mark does some nice things like lowering an inch at highway speeds to increase aerodynamics, auto leveling, a nice soft yet firm ride, etc, etc.

just my .02 good luck

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I agree...if the mark is nice, keep the mark a mark...if you want to do a mark motor swap buy a crappy(er?) mark or just a mark motor

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's a beautiful car to say the least , not really my cup of tes .... dark mettallic blue , gray leather , not a dent or ripple , just a small airleak that allows the air ride to bleed down if it sits for long . wants 1000 for it , drive away . dunno we shall see but ya may be right as it is really nice ....................

·
Registered
917 Posts
i agree with nitemare. each year these cars get older and there are fewer of them out there. people who aren't necessarily enthusiasts buy them and treat them like any other car. they get dented, in accidents, whatever. at the very least you could buy this mark, fix the air leak, clean her up a little and sell it for a little proffit, then go get yourself a nice mark motor out of a rear ended model and do your swap. my point is we have to take the nice ones while there here lol. good luck.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i spared it . instead i told a friend about it who waslooking for a nice car to get back and forth to work from his lil' town 30 miles south to springfield everyday . his v 10 ford truck is killing him . it's gonna stay a mark 8 ........................... it was a 95 .

·
Registered
197 Posts
My buddy had a Lincon Versalles that his parents gave him that would leak down overnight and make it a lopsided ride to look @ but 2-3 min after starting it up it was 100% good.He rolled it drunk and walked away without a scratch but he had lots of trouble afterwards with the law.I would have rather bought a Mk8 than the POS I bought for the same money.I have over 3k in a 1k car and it still looks like A&# with no end in sight

1 - 10 of 10 Posts