TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at some homes in the phoenix area, and surrounding suburbs.

It seems to me that older established communities (1970's houses) have a higher price than brand new gated communities with modern amenities.

For example, you can get a brand new house, around 1700sq feet built for 175-200k, where a 1500sq foot ranch in an established community goes for 200k or more with a 1970 style kitchen and layout.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
the gated places typically are zero lot line - the houses at stacked on top of each other. Since these things pop up like gophers, the houses with green grass and trees(or rocks and sand) are a bit of a premium.....

If you have any questions about mortages, shoot me a PM, my mom is a loan underwriter for Wachovia.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I have found older homes also more expensive than new in some areas. Depends on the area. Sometimes older homes come with a few more items that can be expensive like a pool. I bought a house built in 1965 when I moved to Florida in 91. We could have got new cheaper but wanted a screened pool which was going to add 35k to the new. We also found most newer houses had smaller bedrooms(9x9) other than the master. We had 2 children and the house we bought had 12x12 for the second and third. Established landscaping usually comes with old.
When I moved to Huntsville in 03 my wife wanted old again because of trees and landcaping. The new were all on former cotton fields. I really did not want the maintenance of a 60s house again. We eventually went new since you got more for your money in general. Also new is much more energy efficient.
If you buy new, try to get one already done. We built what we wanted and when my wife got to pick out fixtures and flooring we went 20k over our allowance. When she got to pick from what they had it was hard to keep her to builders grade.

·
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Great Obucina said:
the gated places typically are zero lot line - the houses at stacked on top of each other. Since these things pop up like gophers, the houses with green grass and trees(or rocks and sand) are a bit of a premium.....

If you have any questions about mortages, shoot me a PM, my mom is a loan underwriter for Wachovia.
Thanks, i will shoot you one soon.

·
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dusty said:
I have found older homes also more expensive than new in some areas. Depends on the area. Sometimes older homes come with a few more items that can be expensive like a pool. I bought a house built in 1965 when I moved to Florida in 91. We could have got new cheaper but wanted a screened pool which was going to add 35k to the new. We also found most newer houses had smaller bedrooms(9x9) other than the master. We had 2 children and the house we bought had 12x12 for the second and third. Established landscaping usually comes with old.
When I moved to Huntsville in 03 my wife wanted old again because of trees and landcaping. The new were all on former cotton fields. I really did not want the maintenance of a 60s house again. We eventually went new since you got more for your money in general. Also new is much more energy efficient.
If you buy new, try to get one already done. We built what we wanted and when my wife got to pick out fixtures and flooring we went 20k over our allowance. When she got to pick from what they had it was hard to keep her to builders grade.
Good tip. I thought the exact same thing. If I let the lady pick out fixtures, etc. then not only would it take much longer, but it would cost much more.

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Justin, I build houses for a living and you are EXACTLY right with that assumtion. My mom helped design colors and carpet and crap for my first house, and after all the frills and custom crap she got... we went quite over budget, and over timelines. It's definately a buyers market right now though, so you should be able to find good deals if you look. It's amazing how much you can save and lower cost by taking it easy, those things add up quick. I doubt it's the same in Phoenix, but a lot of builders around this area are selling at cost just to get out from under their loans! Good luck, let us know what you find.

-Joel

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Location, Location, Location.

My sister sold her 1,200 sq ft home in Scottsdale for 200k

They bought their current 2600 sq ft home in Maricopa for 225k

1968 block ranch style to a newly built two story house on a golf course.

Good luck on finding a good area and home. I don't know much about all the areas of Phoenix, but it is a nice place mostly, just a little too fast paced and big for me. I like the layed back casual Tucson.

·
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you guys got any tips or recommend any builders?

My girlfriend will be attending a graduate school about once a week on Dunlap Avenue in Phoenix (argosy university).

Also both of us will be getting jobs in the phoenix area.

We would like to be no more than around 30 minutes from work and her school.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts