TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always loved a nice thick soft steering wheel. After watching Top Gear and some of the high dollar sports cars they have with huge steering wheels, I decided to take things in my own hands, so to speak. I work in a saddle shop and we get some of the best leather there is. If there is the tiniest mark on the leather we don't use that part. So I get to pick and choose the best of the scrap we toss out.
I took a piece and stitched the ends together in a fold over for high strength, but that left a large seam. The ones I make now are overlaped about 3/4 of an inch and make a much flatter seam than what you see here. I got the thickness I wanted by using a slide on type wheel cover from WalMart and pulling my wet leather cover over it. Then used a curved needle and some waxed Tiger thread to do the inner stitching. It took some work and while this install is not perfect, it is very nice to drive with.
I am planning on doing another with the better seam design and and remembering to be careful that the seam line doesn't twist as you will note on my steering wheel.
IF anyone is interested I will make a video that shows how to install these and sell them a cover that is stitched on the ends and ready to be installed on their car.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe. All I know is it's soft like budda. Like wearing really expensive gloves without the trouble of putting them on. And just ignore that huge mountain of a seam at the bottom. I promise what you'll get if you order one is a much flatter seam that won't stick out like a sore thumb

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
You could put the seam on top and paint it red or some other bright color. Because racecar.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Maybe. All I know is it's soft like budda. Like wearing really expensive gloves without the trouble of putting them on. And just ignore that huge mountain of a seam at the bottom. I promise what you'll get if you order one is a much flatter seam that won't stick out like a sore thumb
Mr.Thunderbird

How much would something like S4Gunn*s design cost if i send you a steering wheel ???

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Send me the wheel

Mr.Thunderbird

How much would something like S4Gunn*s design cost if i send you a steering wheel ???
It's about an hour of time and would cost about $45 plus shipping back to you. To make it an extra thick wheel, add $20 for the cost of the inner foam type cover. One machine seam at the bottom of the wheel. Solid black or Brown leather is available. Inner seam will be hand stitched. If your interested message me here.

·
Registered
206 Posts
It's about an hour of time and would cost about $45 plus shipping back to you. To make it an extra thick wheel, add $20 for the cost of the inner foam type cover. One machine seam at the bottom of the wheel. Solid black or Brown leather is available. Inner seam will be hand stitched. If your interested message me here.
sorry i*m late to answer here lot of work right now

your offer sounds good ,i have right now a thread going to find out which steering wheel to go with brand, style , don*t know jet what i*m gona get as soon i know i get in touch with you. Fair enough???

thank you

1 - 9 of 9 Posts