TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been looking around , and so far no real answers about what kind of real world power gains one might expect from the most common bolt ons . i'm curious , as too how much the 02-04 gt 80mm maf will give , and such things as a good tune in the putor , bigger tb , bigger injectors , aftermarket upper plenums give . i'm kinda on the way to " stockpiling " a few parts , and want to spend what cash i can / am willing to on my 95 count . yes i know a good converter and gears will make a big improvement , and i got a pi intake from rob , and f5ae heads and will be getting a set of pi cams soon , but really need to know if the other add ons are worth the effort/ change spent .

·
5,650 Posts
been looking around , and so far no real answers about what kind of real world power gains one might expect from the most common bolt ons . i'm curious , as too how much the 02-04 gt 80mm maf will give , and such things as a good tune in the putor , bigger tb , bigger injectors , aftermarket upper plenums give . i'm kinda on the way to " stockpiling " a few parts , and want to spend what cash i can / am willing to on my 95 count . yes i know a good converter and gears will make a big improvement , and i got a pi intake from rob , and f5ae heads and will be getting a set of pi cams soon , but really need to know if the other add ons are worth the effort/ change spent .
Let's go one-by-one through your list there.

02-04 gt 80mm maf = 0 HP
good tune in the putor = ~10 HP on 93 octane with the rest stock
bigger tb = 0 HP
bigger injectors = 0 HP
aftermarket upper plenum = 0 HP
good converter = 0 HP
gears = 0 HP
pi intake = ~18 HP
f5ae heads (stock) = 0 HP
pi cams = ~15 HP

You need to do some real research on what is worth spending money on. If you bought everything in this list, you'd be out a LOT of money, a good deal of it wasted. A converter and gears won't add HP, but it will make the car quicker. Know the difference, figure out what you actually want the car to do, find which parts are best, get a realistic perspective on your budget, and go from there. Most importantly, realize that if you want to get into the modding frenzy, you've got a piss-poor foundation to start with. All of this has been covered a thousand times on here. Search a little and you'll be reading for hours. You won't get spoonfed all the answers here.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
have been looking master and no definitive answers until now , of which i appreciate . you answered what i needed to know before wasting dollars on a bunch of supposed items that " made big power " . i have been reading here and some technical bulletins from ford concerning it and was leaning towards running the oe maf , tb and injectors anyway , and have written down the numbers you or someone else supplied about the pi cams and intake . again thanks . oh and i will explain further . i know the gear and tq don't add power , but everyone's first response is put 'em in . i wanted info on the engine / power figures .

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
or a more direct way of saying what i was wanting to know : can anyone help cut through the bul s--- hype about how if you buy this whidgimacallit with the bigger orifice opening , you'll gain 1,000 horsepower and look ten years younger too :bs:............ companies and peeps alike are guilty of this !!!!!!everywhere i have been hypes how there product gains mega tons of power ............................... :bs:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Of course the first thing most people should replace are the gears and TC but don't forget about the exhaust. That could give you a few more ponies. Then there are the underdrive pullies too. There a lot of things that can give you a little bit of power here and there but it's not going to make much of a difference. Listen to the Master and once the foundation is solid, (I would focus on the suspension and brakes first), you can then decide on what to do that'll really add power; i.e. supercharger, turbo, nitrous, etc, etc. Also unless you think your old engine is up to it I think a motor swap is the first thing to do after upgrading the brakes and suspension. It's never safe to make the car quicker and more powerful if you cannot keep it under control.

Honestly, this topic has been beaten to death. The power numbers he stated are on this site but yeah, it would've taken a bit of time to search for. It's still annoying because during the time you waited for an answer you would've found the answer. Most of the veterans here can easily tell by the question whether someone has searched first or not. I probably shouldn't be typing this because no one ever reads this.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Of course the first thing most people should replace are the gears and TC but don't forget about the exhaust. That could give you a few more ponies. Then there are the underdrive pullies too. There a lot of things that can give you a little bit of power here and there but it's not going to make much of a difference. Listen to the Master and once the foundation is solid, (I would focus on the suspension and brakes first), you can then decide on what to do that'll really add power; i.e. supercharger, turbo, nitrous, etc, etc. Also unless you think your old engine is up to it I think a motor swap is the first thing to do after upgrading the brakes and suspension. It's never safe to make the car quicker and more powerful if you cannot keep it under control.

Honestly, this topic has been beaten to death. The power numbers he stated are on this site but yeah, it would've taken a bit of time to search for. It's still annoying because during the time you waited for an answer you would've found the answer. Most of the veterans here can easily tell by the question whether someone has searched first or not. I probably shouldn't be typing this because no one ever reads this.:rolleyes:
I'm sorry, were you saying something? :2huh::zbash:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Buy a tornado - I heard they add 50+hp!!!

No, j/k. If you buy that garbage, you're a sucker. Only way to get a noticeable gain in power is a PI swap (see the tech articles) or simply swap for an PI aluminum block - explorer motor. Oh, and if you plan on $500 total - you might want to double that price. From what i've found, any mod I plan on ends up costing me double what I initially expect.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
have been looking master and no definitive answers until now , of which i appreciate . you answered what i needed to know before wasting dollars on a bunch of supposed items that " made big power " . i have been reading here and some technical bulletins from ford concerning it and was leaning towards running the oe maf , tb and injectors anyway , and have written down the numbers you or someone else supplied about the pi cams and intake . again thanks . oh and i will explain further . i know the gear and tq don't add power , but everyone's first response is put 'em in . i wanted info on the engine / power figures .
reason everyone suggests that, is because those are what make the car faster, not higher HP alone.....I would know, I went down that road.....you'll be severely dissatisfied if you chase the power trail only--it leads to practically nothing....with extra HP, you'll pick up top-end, but your ET's will still be slow as hell without really beefing up the launch with a torque converter and gears......I remember the last few months before I parked my car for upgrades.....i was trapping anywhere from 96 to nearly 98 mph in good air (~97.7 a couple of times).....most cars trapping those speeds in the 1/4 are doing what, low-14s give or take?.....best I could muster was a 15.0.....why? sure i had nice HP on the top end with the cams, SVO intake, etc, but on stock 3.27 gears and a measly marauder converter, the launch was worse than stock....take it from some one who's been down that road....do gears and converter

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gears and tq aren't really a priority to me as i'm beating on it daily for now , and to be honest i've grown quite fond of the mileage it gets . never been a fan of that but considering my usual driver is flatty powered and gets 8 mpg well.......... not looking for big power either just a lil' more kick in the arse , but not wanting to throw money away on parts that will not make a big difference in it's overall performance / power . i have a set of 3.73's and a trac lock sitting in an 8.8 solid axle , and again thanx to peeps here know the trick to making it fit the irs , but after getting them just not sure i want too . i constantly reread the stickies , the links , got a number of threads book marked , and am always on the lookout . not lazy , trust me . i spent the better part of a month of my spare time figuring out which bearings i needed in manufacturers books to do my own disc brake swap on my 53 . just wanting to hear what the rest of you have too say about the parts and what they do in the real world , not the claims . i also approach this like i do everything else , what can i find cheap , scrounge etc. and make it work . for some da-- reason crawling around in junkyards or fields is appealing ................ geuss i prolly shoulda kept either one of the 4 valves or one of the 2 good later 2 valve 4.6's i sold too buy another toy ......... yes a pi swap is being considered as well as a local yard has several with low miles for 1500 or so , found a cast iron one for 600 on craigs list north of me , and waiting on my son in laws ditzy bro in law to sell me his wannabe 00 or ? vic as it spit out two plugs . he wants 300 for the whole car minus the rims ...... who knows just picking up parts and info along the way .............. the 200 dollar throwaway car has become another toy i'm fond of !

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Real World Testing

I was reading an article that someone did some dyno testing with common bolt-ons on a 2005 4.0L Mustang and I thought I would share what they found...

K&N Filter: 1.8 hp / 2.8 tq
Throttle Body Spacer: 7.2 hp / 10.8 tq
Interestingly enough, together
these 2 mods tested: 4.8 hp / 7.3 tq

Tune 12 hp / 25.4 tq
Spark Plug Wires: 0 hp / 0 tq
CAI 7.1 hp / 14 tq

Under Drive Pullies 3.6 hp / 6 tq
U/D with TB Spacer: 11.1 hp / 18.2 tq

Borla True Dual Exhaust 25.5 hp / 21.8 tq
Adding Headers added 5 hp / 10 tq

Nitrous 100hp shot 67 hp / 67 tq
Nitrous Equalizer 21 hp / 31 tq

The most impressive and cost effective add-ons in order (their words):

CAI / Spacer
Nitrous
Tune
Exhaust
Gears
Torque Converter
Aluminum Driveshaft
Under Drive Pulleys

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
interesting ..... kinda stuff i'm looking for too .............

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
for some da-- reason crawling around in junkyards or fields is appealing ....
I couldnt agree more :) There is nothing like going looking for something to make fit.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
:uppoint: Sorry, I couldn't resist..... :tongue:

It's all good :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
More Real World Testing

@55f350, January 2009 Popular Hot Rodding had some dyno testing of popular bolt ons on a 2001 Mustang GT 4.6L including under drive pullies, throttle body, and a cold air intake system.

All of these were provided by BBK for them, so that may or may not have affected the final numbers :zdunno:

Their results:
Jan 2009 Popular Hot Rodding On 2001 4.6L:

BBK 1559 U/D Pulley Set 9.6 hp / 12.1 tq (surprising at how high these are)
BBK 1701 75mm Throttle Body 4.3 hp / 3.3 tq (seems more realistic)
BBK 1718 Cold Air Intake Kit 9.8 hp / 13.2 tq (bigger throttle body helped this, I'm sure)

Total of all three bolt-ons:
Before Dyno Results: 225.5 hp / 234.6 tq
After Dyno Results: 249.2 hp / 263.2 tq

Total Increase 23.7 hp / 28.6 tq

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thank you ! been scrounging around on the magazine sites lately thanks to your info , somewhere i hadn't had cross my mind for just such info . makes it easier to decide where to spend what ..................:wavey:

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
You're welcome. Now, I'm sure I'm gonna start a bunch of critiquing by posting this, but I've done a lot of research with these motors. There are a lot on here that have much more hands-on than I do and hopefully they will contribute. Anyways, I have a spread sheet of over 50 4.6L NA vehicles and mod and dyno info and have compiled the following list as for APPROXIMATE HP and Torque gains for individual mods (each engine is different):

Supercharger and Nitrous: This is an N/A list :D
Computer Tune: 20 hp / 15 tq
Aftermarket Heads: 16 hp / 13 tq
Aftermarket Cams: 15 hp / 13 tq
PI Intake Manifold: 13 hp / 11 tq
Heads Ported / 3 Angle Valve Job: 11 hp / 9 tq
PI Cams: 10 hp / 9 tq
Dual Exhaust: 10 hp / 5 tq
Mid-Length Headers: 9 hp / 8 tq
PI Heads: 8 hp / 5 tq
Shorty Headers: 7 hp / 6 tq
Underdrive Pulleys: 6 hp / 4 tq
75mm Throttle body: 6 hp / 4 tq
Cold Air Intake: 5 hp / 3 tq
70mm Throttle Body: 4 hp / 3 tq
MAF: maybe 1-2 hp and torque cause can tune better

Are these additive? Well, that depends - an engine is a big air pump, so you can get bigger gains if you address your biggest bottleneck. Basically, if you rebuilt the motor completely and add airflow to every stage, you'd get the biggest. Obviously, that's out of reach for most of us, so we do it a step at a time.....

·
Registered
605 Posts
A converter and gears will not mess up your MPG that much. I get 24-25 MPG on the hight way no problem with my setup. Just have to baby it a little and I have hit 410 miles on a tank. That was all highway on the way to the beach but it's still nice.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts