TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI people same newb here. I think ive made a mistake buying my 1994 Thunderbird as its only 3 days and i m starting to have problems. Today when i went to work and park my Car infront of our NCO building. My Car begans to vibrate while parked and WHite smoke begans to come out of both Exhausts also I smell fuel . When i got off from the work. i tried to drive it back home but when i put my car in DRIVE, the cars begans to shake too much and i smell fuel buring. The while smoke is comming out of exhausts all the time.
My car is still parked at the office building and i dunno what to do.
Any Input is appreciated.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
since its a 4.6 i dont think it would be the head gaskets...how many miles does it have....it could be the lower plastic intake...those are known to crack...mine cracked at 83k, 2 days after i got the birdy, i hated the tought that i bought the car...it turned out the dealer fixed it for free since it was a recall...is the coolant level low under the hood? is there coolant leaking or all over the under of the hood( mine was all over)...that would be a good start...check wire plugs and other visuals...good luck man...after its over...trust me, you will love the birdy...

·
Registered
313 Posts
94 has the aluminum lower intake.. no cracks.. can't (or 99% not likely) be the intake.. if you smell gas.. I'd bet one of your injectors is stuck open, causing one cylinder to be flooded with fuel... if you do a search for noid light, or stuck injector, you'll find the procedure to test for bad injectors, or EEC.. either isn't too bad to replace (if you go used on the EEC).. If so.. you'll want to fix ASAP, as the extra fuel down the exhaust pipe will kill your cats QUICK.. I'd start there.. but I'm in aggreement.. once you get it fixed.. you'll love the car..

P.S.. Since your new.. if you can't find it.. let me know.. I'll give you the procedure..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks friends, smokymance , when i popened the hood everything seems to be in order, that day i bought this car, i installed new bosch plugs and wires, my car have 141000 miles on it, i dont have much $$$ to have it fix if its a big problem.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I just did a quick search for you.. autozone has injectors for $45 ea (probably only need one if it is an injector).. and has the ecc for $135 plus $87 core charge.. so you can probably fix it for less than $150.. but you'll have to find the problem first.. Like I said.. check for the hung injector..

Feel free to PM me with any questions..

·
Registered
85 Posts
i am not trying to be the party pooper, but i have a 94 v8 tbird and my head gasket blew or the head was warped. i am not sure which one happened, but the dealership that priced the repair out said about 1500 if the heads where reusable. when it was burning antifreeze it had a slit shake to the engine like it had a miss. but it only blew white smoke when i started the car so it wasn't burning a lot of antifreeze. lets hope its not that though because the car was real fun before that.

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
I agree with Thumper on this one. It is probably the EEC holding open the injector. Very common on the 94's. I doubt it is a blown headgasket being that he is getting the fuel smell...

;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I bought my Tbird it was doing the same thing, I threw a scanner on it and found out it was the EEC was grounding out #7 injector, replaced the computer and problem gone.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Thumper91 said:
94 has the aluminum lower intake.. no cracks.. can't (or 99% not likely) be the intake..
i never knew that...its true, you do learn something new everyday...anyway good luck with spotting your problem...we'd hate to have a birdy member leave the forums

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Did you buy the Bird from a Dealer? Warranty should cover this.

I would check into the EEC being defective.

Did the Check Engine Light come on ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi, i towed my car to a workshop and he said ure car have #6 and #8 injectors wide open, ive ordered the Injectors online (new one 51$/1), also i told him that i need to replace ECC too but i dont think they understand what it is, can anyone tell me the full name fo ECC (what it stands for), i mean when ordering online what should i write in search box in autozone web site. thank you again friends for help.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Engine Control Computer... or Electronic Engine Control (goes by both, sort of) they need to check that first with a noid light.. the EEC can cause the injector to hang open.. so the injector may not be bad.. just a bad signal from the EEC.. if you ask if they used a noid light to check the computer, and they don't know what that is.. you may want to find another shop..

just to say it again.. MAKE SURE THEY CHECK THE EEC AT THE INJECTORS WITH A NOID LIGHT.. otherwise you will be replacing injectors that may not need to be replaced..

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
If the shop doesn't know what an EEC is then get it the heck out of there and take it somewhere...no, anywhere else.
What do they work on there, lawn mowers and/or vacuum cleaners???
Sorry to be so abrupt about it but any shop that doesn't know what an EEC is isn't ANY kind of automotive shop. My 6y/o son knows what an EEC is. Heck, even the counter people at any parts store should know that much.
Throw PCM at them and see if they understand that.

Regardless, best wishes with it. Get it running right and you will love it.

Darrin

·
8,239 Posts
no need to order new injectors dude.

Just call a local junkyard and get a new EEC (computer) and swap it in.

Expect to pay about 40 bucks for a used one.

JH

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi, everyone, a you all will be glaf to hear this story, I m new to cars but i managed to changed those 2 fuel INjectors myself somehow. but when i started my car it start blowing WHite SMoke again. I really got mad when i spend $110 on 2 FInjectors and it didnt work.I turned the ignition off. and Decided to Tow my Bird to someone else. I spend $70 to tow it from Dulhin Island to Mobile at my friends workshop. there when he started the car, it was smoking as it was before, There i told him the whole story and i changed 2 injectors, he press the accelerator for like 10 min and after that the Car suddenly Stop smoking and everything was normal :ztoohot: . He said ure pistons might have too much fuel and now its gone, i think there is no need to further investigate and u can drive it. I was v overjoyed but sad that last night i spend $70 for nothing :( .
THANK YOU ALL FOR THE GREAT HELP. really Appreciate it guyz. :)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The name they know it by is processor. The brain or PCM, EEC, or ECM. All of these names are accepted through the car world. Have them check for a constant ON in the wires. Make SURE they change the oil on this before you drive it. The gasoline delutes the stuff and does SEVERE lower end damage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts