TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I put the engine in my 93LX (90LX 3.8 engine), it has smelled like burnt eggs, or the catalytic converter stench. It stinks pretty good when stopped and never seems to go away. No smoke and no coolant loss :) My entire exhaust including manifolds is from the 93 that had a HG blow through them, does this allways destroy the cats or could they just be bad from time? Thanks.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
well it could be a combination of both. Either way they need replacing. Or you could jsut gut them if you can do that in your state. Technicaly it's illegal everywhere but some states don't give a rats behind.
-Thomas

·
Registered
710 Posts
From what I know, that stench is from the cats, so there inlie's your problem, or so I would believe.

-Ryan

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
John,
You ALWAYS have to replace the O2's after coolant has gone through the system. May also be part of your problem.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips, thats on my list of things to replace. Today the lower radiator hose burst on the freeway and made a mess, nursed it home but I guess it will sit for a few days until I have time to work on it. I figured out that my rad cap is stuck and wasnt venting off any pressure, so its complete cooling system rework time.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Yeah, sounds like you cantaminated your cats and O2's. smell should go away when replaced.

·
Registered
148 Posts
the same thing happened to me (the really stinky smell) turns out a couple of walmart plastic bags got melted to my oil pan and kind just boiled away i guess, oh well

1 - 7 of 7 Posts