TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have the rubber on the rear 1/4 panel windows looking like it has seen better days, here is a fix I did. It works and most important it's easy on the wallet :tongue: You will need 100 grit sandpaper 600 grit sandpaper, elmer's wood filler (doesn't matter what color) a can of regular primer (wally world primer works great, .97 a can) a can of flat black enamel (I used rustolem) a putty knife and a few hours. Step one LIGHTLY sand the rubber surround with the 100 grit until all of the loose material is gone (shouldn't feel like sugar on a counter top when rubbed with a finger) Step two using the wood filler and the putty knife, apply this to the rubber surround to cover the scratches and holes. Let it dry for a couple of hours. Step 3 come back with the 600 grit paper and LIGHTLY sand until it looks like it should (if there are any gouges or holes, refill them and resand when it's dry). Step 4 mask off the window and the surrounding bodywork as well as the chrome strip around the window with masking tape and newspaper. Prime surface with primer, allowing it to dry throughly. If you wanted to you could sand this with 1200 grit paper, but I didn't . Follow this with the black paint, wait for it to dry, remove the tape and newspaper and you have a pseduo refurbed window surround.
Joe
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
7,662 Posts
I'll have to try that. I have been trying to come up with some way to fix those things for a while, but I never had much sucess. I never thought of using wood filler though. Good thinking.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, no step by step pics. I wanted to make sure that this fix would survive a mississippi summer and so far it has along with a small hail storm :(
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top