TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does any year mn12 chassis come with a straight axle rear end? or are they all the independent rear suspension? thanks

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Even the V6 model. Only difference is the V6 has a 7.5" rear end and the V8's and SC's have an 8.8" rear end.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Apparently some of the V6's got the 8.8" too.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
now thats weird

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
With a diff cover brace and 3.37s how much power can the stock V8 half shafts take? People have said close to 400hp is that true?

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
With a diff cover brace and 3.37s how much power can the stock V8 half shafts take? People have said close to 400hp is that true?
The rear will easily handle more power than that (provided the cover is braced) and the shock load remains within tolerable levels (not really a problem for an automatic transmission) but power levels significantly less than that through a manual transmission can kill them. Hardened steel is so fickle!

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Hard starts

Hello

It depends on your driving style. From a dead stop to Full throttle you would have to beef up the rear & suspension.

I run have run a 7.5 with 4.10's behind a 351W & AOD. No problems!
Also still run the V6 NA axles & an open rear.(rule)

How-ever I don't bolt from a dead stop. I race on an 1/2 mile asphalt oval. Oval track car. We use a rolling stop.

If your car will be a Street/strip car than go with SC axles minimum + cover brace.
Drag only!, go aftermarket axles. Upgrade all your rear suspension bushings!

Paul

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
theres a guy on sccoa, who has recently ran a 10.6X something on the IRS, and is shooting for a 9.99 here in a couple of weeks.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
theres a guy on sccoa, who has recently ran a 10.6X something on the IRS, and is shooting for a 9.99 here in a couple of weeks.
If SC shafts are good for 10s then V8 shafts can maybe be good for low 14s or high 13s (my goal)? I plan a diff cover brace, and i meant 3.73s I messed up earlier. I do plan to eventually make this a car Id take to the strip for occasional fun but no dedicated racing. This would be a DD so not really abused with serious launchings at every light but once in a while it can happen, should I leave the stock shafts? And yes its an automatic and will stay that way, sounds like Im going to leave it alone. And is regreasing the half shaft joints important? I regreased the inners and the grease came out like puke water, I didnt do the outers yet. Thanks for the advice guys! Im becoming more knowledgeable about this car than my Ford crazy roommate, whose owned 2 birds.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
If SC shafts are good for 10s then V8 shafts can maybe be good for low 14s or high 13s (my goal)? I plan a diff cover brace, and i meant 3.73s I messed up earlier. I do plan to eventually make this a car Id take to the strip for occasional fun but no dedicated racing. This would be a DD so not really abused with serious launchings at every light but once in a while it can happen, should I leave the stock shafts? And yes its an automatic and will stay that way, sounds like Im going to leave it alone. And is regreasing the half shaft joints important? I regreased the inners and the grease came out like puke water, I didnt do the outers yet. Thanks for the advice guys! Im becoming more knowledgeable about this car than my Ford crazy roommate, whose owned 2 birds.
I believe some of the 10 second SC guys are running the small shafts...not the fat shafts.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
don't forget that only the passenger side shaft was fatter, and i believe only on the 5sp models

·
Registered
4,407 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I have seen oem 6cyl cars(non SC) come with 8.8's but never with traction lock. Either they errored on the line and put in a SC unit or someone swapped it.
Alan

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I have seen oem 6cyl cars(non SC) come with 8.8's but never with traction lock. Either they errored on the line and put in a SC unit or someone swapped it.
Alan
Ethier way it is possible.I would have to say someone probley swaped it though.It was still fun to rip donuts in that thing.Then I got my V8 bird with NO Traklok.So boring!But I am past the donut phase now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts