TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
Joined
·
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, the rear bumper was finished today and will be painted tomorrow. I think it looks awesome and will really set the car apart from most others. Lemme know what you think.









At HanMan's request, here's the first "before" pic I could find.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
damn you sir bill...

you beat me too it...but i got a few other tricks up my sleaves
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
I really like the bumper, it is definitely different. Sweeeeeet.
GUN
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
You aren't going to like this - but I prefer the before style. It seems to me that it's going to be a 'blob' when it's done.... I really do like the way Ford designed the mouldings for your year Bird.

However, I'm sure it'll look great when it's all done and you've got pics up :).

Looking forward to it,

Kevin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
bumper

Hey Sir Will, i work at Ford in Seattle and i was askin the body shop guys about shaving my moldings and such, they said doin the bumper is not a smart idea, and it will fall off eventually. Is this true, b/c im dyin to do this mod, im already paintin the bird a candy tangerine and want to do everything at the same time.

Thanks, car looks sweet

Jesse
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
are you planning on removing the chrome thunderbird emblem on the rear end?
if not i think it would look pretty goofy to have "thunderbird" written twice in the same area and in different "fonts" too.

and the bumper you have now matches the styling of the rest of the car (with the long indented ovals) , the new bumper would throw off the cars styling

in my mind the only way that bumper would look good on your car is if you took off the chrome emblems and lost the long ovals (i dont know of any other way to describe them)around the whole car.



enough of me :zsoapbox: do what you please...:usa:
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
5.0 Beast said:
are you planning on removing the chrome thunderbird emblem on the rear end?
if not i think it would look pretty goofy to have "thunderbird" written twice in the same area and in different "fonts" too.

and the bumper you have now matches the styling of the rest of the car (with the long indented ovals) , the new bumper would throw off the cars styling

in my mind the only way that bumper would look good on your car is if you took off the chrome emblems and lost the long ovals (i dont know of any other way to describe them)around the whole car.
Yes, the Thunderbird script and Ford emblem will be shaved from the trunk along with the lock. But not before the photo shoot.

As for the bumper not matching, you haven't followed my posts on the rest of the car have you? I filled the front bumper just like the rear and shaved the sides, including door handles and gas filler. The only thing I left was the power antenna only because there's no reasonable place to relocate it to. But I am painting the mount for that to match the body.

As for the comment about the stuff not sticking, it will stick. The stuff used is designed strictly for repairing these plastic bumpers. So it's specifically formulated to adhere to plastic. The parts were also agressively sandblasted in those areas prior to application so the underlying bumper has a quite rough texture for the filler to bond to.
 

·
Cougar Pilot
Joined
·
3,443 Posts
Sir William said:


shaved the gas filler
How?? Just unhook switch, relocate, Bondo around opening, and paint? I've been wondering...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
Smooootttthhhh

Man, that is going to be one good looking ride when you're done.

Sorry if I missed this, are you going to keep the pearl color...?
Hope so... :xpcool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
may I suggest one of those windsheild mounted antennas. From what I hear they work pretty well, and are invisible. I was planning on one of those and shaving my antenna when i put the new fender on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
I REALLY like that rear bumper. Looks sweeeeet.
I always think of the worse though, and I'd be so afraid they day I pick up my car someone would rear end me:zdunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
935 Posts
TurboCat...About the gas tank door...

He put it in the trunk, and looks pretty sweet as long as it vents right. It's another thread somewhere on the forums.

As for the cover, that looks great. Ford should have made them like that in the first place but they had to save money! Now I see why on the wanted board you wanted the lettering ;)

Keep up the sweet mods.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
940 Posts
Hey SW, how about no antenna, do you really need it? I mean who listens to the radio now, maybe XM with a hidden antenna?, yeah you should do that, the bumpers look great can't wait to see the whole car finished
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually, I listen to a LOT of radio. Especially when I'm on the road. Being in a basically rural area, we have crap for decent stations. But when I go to Dallas or Chicago or St. Louis or Atlanta, I love to listen to stations that don't suck.
 

·
Cougar Pilot
Joined
·
3,443 Posts
Re: TurboCat...About the gas tank door...

Tim Groth said:
He put it in the trunk, and looks pretty sweet as long as it vents right. It's another thread somewhere on the forums.
I seen the pics of that, I was just wondering how to get rid of the old gas door
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
MercCougarXR7 said:
You aren't going to like this - but I prefer the before style. It seems to me that it's going to be a 'blob' when it's done.... I really do like the way Ford designed the mouldings for your year Bird.
The shave he did, looks like the 94-95 with t-bird text and the side line isn't there. I don't think it would look like a "blob." Rather, I like it a lot. I like all the exterior mods he has done (except the gas tank... I use my trunk.... hehe)

5150Bird said:
Hey Sir Will, i work at Ford in Seattle and i was askin the body shop guys about shaving my moldings and such, they said doin the bumper is not a smart idea, and it will fall off eventually. Is this true, b/c im dyin to do this mod, im already paintin the bird a candy tangerine and want to do everything at the same time.
PLEASE post after your paint job... I am DIEING to see that! :D

Sir William said:
Yes, the Thunderbird script and Ford emblem will be shaved from the trunk along with the lock. But not before the photo shoot.
Photo shoot? I don't believe i read that thread. What photo shoot? :2huh:
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jeremiah said:
Photo shoot? I don't believe i read that thread. What photo shoot? :2huh:
I'm the last pic that's not been submitted for the MN12 Calendar. As soon as I get my pics in, it goes into production.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top