TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I removed the rear upper and lower control arms on my 96' Tbird. I took all 4 arms to a mechanic to press in replacement bushings, but he was unable to tell me how much he would charge - besides a $300 ballpark quote not on paper. Right away, he stated that the upper arm bushings were fine and did not need replacement. He did not comment on the lower arm bushings.

The bushings appear to be in OK condition with just a little bit of cracking rubber evident on one bushing per side - both the rearward bushings. The bushings have very limited deflection apparent. I was going to have them replaced because I have it all apart, but if I can get by a while more I might hold off.

What would you recommend that I do? Have them replaced, or return the bushings and save $150+ (bushings 50, labor to press in and out is the ???) I am also hoping to one day get the delrin bushings so might be best to wait I suppose.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
So I removed the rear upper and lower control arms on my 96' Tbird. I took all 4 arms to a mechanic to press in replacement bushings, but he was unable to tell me how much he would charge - besides a $300 ballpark quote not on paper. Right away, he stated that the upper arm bushings were fine and did not need replacement. He did not comment on the lower arm bushings.

The bushings appear to be in OK condition with just a little bit of cracking rubber evident on one bushing per side - both the rearward bushings. The bushings have very limited deflection apparent. I was going to have them replaced because I have it all apart, but if I can get by a while more I might hold off.

What would you recommend that I do? Have them replaced, or return the bushings and save $150+ (bushings 50, labor to press in and out is the ???)
Replacing mine made a huge difference, it just depends on how bad yours are.

I believe some of the bushings are liquid filled; I know the toe adjusters are. Mine were empty when removed.

They're 14 years old, you have them off the car; you can buy a decent press for ~$200.

I wouldn't pay more than that to have them replaced. :) You'd be amazed what you can break with a press... :D

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hello

What was the best way to remove the metal cases?
on the lower rear control arms.

:confused:
It's really a pain in the a**! :mad:

Remove the center part of the bushing by drilling the rubber, then use a saw to split the metal shell, after that you can just tap it out.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
It's really a pain in the a**! :mad:

Remove the center part of the bushing by drilling the rubber, then use a saw to split the metal shell, after that you can just tap it out.
Thats what I had in mind. Was looking for another way.
They would not press out.

;)

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I can't speak for the rears, but when I replace front control arm bushings with bushings that have the metal shell, I beat a dent into the shell with an air hammer, then the airhammer will almost always push it right out. Hammer and chisel will work too, but maybe not as quick!
-Rob

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
FWIW, I don't remember super clearly, but I changed all those bushing on mine. What I remember doing is a big C clamp to push some of them out and using a press on others; it was an easier job than I thought it was gonna be!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts