TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have replaced everything on my front suspension.....I'm now looking at replacing everything in the rear but I can't find rear upper/lower control arms. I've looked at a few places...no luck. I know I can get away with just bushings in the rear but I'm trying to rebuild my '91 bird.(I'm going to do the same for my '89 SC) So where can I buy rear control arms? I plan on using rubber bushings and not the poly bushings from SC performance. Help? lol
Chris

·
Registered
1,215 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just saw the prices.... eh, gotta do what ya gotta do to have a nice running mn12 =) I'm replacing the rear along with an 8.8 with 3:73 gears. It's going to hurt the wallet and piss off the g/f but...well, eh. lol Thanks for the quick response guys..I'll be seeing some of you guys at Carlisle,PA !

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
My suggestion, if you're paying that much?

Get the lower spring seats from DLF to fit your springs in a Mark VIII set of LCAs, pull the control arms from a Mark VIII in the wrecking yard, and rebush them.

Or get a set of TBird/Cougar control arms (hey, they're $12.50 each at the local pick/n/pull!) and rebuild those.

Grab the rear knuckles for disk brakes while you're at it, with the hubs, and redo the bearings. While you've got it apart.

That way, you can redo the bushings one a weekend or so, get everything ready, and swap it en masse.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,564 Posts
I can't see why you would need new control arms for the rear unless they're rusted beyond belief, bent or otherwise damaged in some way.

I'd just pull them off, give them a good cleaning and fresh paint, put in new bushings and call it a day.

·
Registered
570 Posts
My suggestion, if you're paying that much?

Get the lower spring seats from DLF to fit your springs in a Mark VIII set of LCAs, pull the control arms from a Mark VIII in the wrecking yard, and rebush them.

Or get a set of TBird/Cougar control arms (hey, they're $12.50 each at the local pick/n/pull!) and rebuild those.

Grab the rear knuckles for disk brakes while you're at it, with the hubs, and redo the bearings. While you've got it apart.

That way, you can redo the bushings one a weekend or so, get everything ready, and swap it en masse.

RwP
Well, no one but me makes bushings for the Mark VIII LCA's. ;)

OP, There's no reason to change out the LCA's and UCA's, just change the bushings.

All you're doing is wasting money.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice guys, I'm just going to get the bushings then. :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts