TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my bird has been acting funny for a few days and i got under it to look and found that the mount bracket from the side of the car to the rear cradle mount on the left side was half rotted and cracked. Does anyone know what i am talking about? not the cradle itself the maybe a foot long piece with 3 bolts in it, 2 to the uni-body and the one that goes to the rear cradle mount. Couldn't get a decent pic to post to show you what i am looking at but I talked to MadMikeyL and he said it's a part that normally doesn't go bad. I am going to see if a bone yard will sell me the bracket for a reasonable price tomorrow but i am just going nuts over this car. she's become a money pit but i can't afford a different car. If someone knows what i am talking about and knows a better name for this part please say something and try to get me pointed in the right direction. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
570 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the info. It's been a long bad day and topping it off was seeing the car problem. Would you happen to be the member that makes the subframe isolators and lca bushings? MadMikeyL said a name to me but i cant member it for sure but i believe it was yours?

I think he said it was a bushing that got rid of the cam adjuster thing's?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked at them and i did not see the part he was talking about. The one that the Sub frame Brackets bolt through is what he was telling me about. I could be looking right at them and just not know what i am looking at.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I looked at them and i did not see the part he was talking about. The one that the Sub frame Brackets bolt through is what he was telling me about. I could be looking right at them and just not know what i am looking at.
Look HERE for info about Sub-Frame Mounts
^^^^^

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ah just saw your post. What should i look for to see if mine are bad? The outside of what i can see does not look bad. like not cracked or flaking and are these street usable bushings?

·
Registered
570 Posts
ah just saw your post. What should i look for to see if mine are bad? The outside of what i can see does not look bad. like not cracked or flaking and are these street usable bushings?
They can be used on the street, but they'll definitely firm up the ride. Jack up the car and take off both of the stabilizer brackets. Then see how much the sub-frame moves around. Then you can decide if you want to replace them.

I think he said it was a bushing that got rid of the cam adjuster thing's?
My Delrin LCA's Bushing Kits do away with the toe-links. You still need the cam adjusters to set the toe-in during alignment.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah thank you. I thought it was the cam adjusters, Mike had me confused. You don't Recommend the lca bushings for the street? Are they to harsh on the rest of the suspension or to harsh of a ride?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Ah thank you. I thought it was the cam adjusters, Mike had me confused. You don't Recommend the lca bushings for the street? Are they to harsh on the rest of the suspension or to harsh of a ride?
It's more of a liabilty issue. I, and several others, use them on the street, but you do so at your own risk. The ride will firm up, but everyone's been pleased so far.

More info on the Delrin IRS Bushing Kits HERE.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah ok. Thank you for letting me know. I am going to tear into it more tomorrow to see what i have to work with and what i need to repair/replace. :( I am hoping that right now do to funds it's just the stabilizer bracket on the left side. As soon as funds are available I am so getting the bushings. Thank you so much you have been a great help!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It figures.... I striped the bolt head trying to get it out of the mount.... Took the bracket off by only removing the front 2 bolts then it fell off... So now I am trying to figure out how to get the bolt out. I am starting to think this car is to much of a pain. Anyone with any ideas please post it thanks guys.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea 6 hours later and i have done nothing but round off the bolt and find out that I can no longer weld at all... I am starting to wonder why I love these cars so much and why i still live where salt is used on the roads. Sad part is i found a great deal on a 93 mark 8 from my old shop teacher. Motor and trans are great but the body is rotted and the floors soft so it was my motor and trans. Going to have someone else weld the nut to the rounded off bolt later today to see if i can get it out. I'll post pics of the bracket when i wake up.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Rusted!

Hello

The big bolt goes threw a sleeve that can rust to the bolt. The sleeve will turn in the Rubber mount. If the sleeve brakes free from the rubber you might get the mount(front K) to loosen from the car. Then you have to cut the bolt to get the bracket off.

A new bushing prob. A good idea.

Done this job before. not Fun! :zbash:
PB blaster, careful heating of the bolt might help.:zdunno:

:wavey:

·
Registered
570 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys for the responses... DLF are the bolts you listed a ford part number i am assuming... Is there anywhere else i might be able to get them? The local dealer said they could get them when i got the brace but wanted almost as much as the brace for a bolt. If it comes down to having to cut it out can i replace it with a nut and bolt?

heh heh the old and new one next to each other... I would say it was bad.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Thanks guys for the responses... DLF are the bolts you listed a ford part number i am assuming... Is there anywhere else i might be able to get them? The local dealer said they could get them when i got the brace but wanted almost as much as the brace for a bolt. If it comes down to having to cut it out can i replace it with a nut and bolt?
Yes, those are the Ford Bolts.

If you end up needing a replacement bushing, I also have some good used bolts. I wasn't able to find a satisfactory replacement. The factory nut is captured in the frame rail.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Well it's very ugly but it's done!!! Welded a 15/16th nut to the rounded head to get it out and then finished welded the nut on and reused it for now. Money is to tight to get new bolts and all. The bushing is rough but not to bad so it's reused for now... I am going to redo it when I have the money but for now I need the car back on the road. Thanks for all the help guys. This is by far the best forum I have been a member of with the best members ever!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts