TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any idea why Ford chose to install the rear speakers on the sides instead of in the deck? Can a good set of speakers fit in the deck? Or, would a sub woofer be a better solution?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
well

Earlier years of the bird (pre 96) had a shelf under the rear deck that had electrnic equipment on it, and they would have probably made the area to shallow to mount a speaker there, then they just never changed that. You could put a sub back there easily enough, you would have to make sure the deck was reinforced to support the sub without rattling. or make a plate and put 6 x 9's back there. or totally modify it, and load it up with 10's or 12's (depends how extreme you want to go), I would suggest the sub route, as putting a midrange/full range speaker back there is only going to pull the soundstage toward the rear of the car , which you don't want to do.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
I have a couple of theories....

Cone Blowout: When you have speakers mounted in an infinite baffle situation then suddenly pressurize one side, you run the risk of popping one of the drivers. The air would take the path of least resistance and that could very well be the suspension of the speaker.

Conversation: If the speaker were to be right behind the head of the back seat passengers, even the lowest volume of music would greatly diminish their ability to understand people talking in the front seat. Therefore they put the speakers in the side panels to get them out of the direct ear paths of the back seat passengers.

Bass Response: By mounting the drivers in the relatively sealed side panels, they would have an easier time getting a predictable amount of low frequency response out of them. It may not be the perfect space, but at least it's static in size. Whereas the trunk would change in volume and damping characteristics on an irregular basis.

Of course I could be wrong. :D

·
Registered
376 Posts
I put my Infinity RSDS12's in the back package tray. I used 3/4" plywood panels to mount them on and bolted the panels to the top of the tray. I had to gut the upholstered panel that sits on the tray under the back window. I used velcro strips at the back and sides of the plywood to attach the now limp material so it looks good. The sound improvement is terrific, as compared to mounted behind the back seat. When I have passengers in the back (rare), I just don't play it loud.

·
Smoothmeister K
887 Posts
I hope I'm understanding this right, but if you're mounting your subs on the tray underneath your back window, isn't that blocking your view behind your car? If so, isn't that considered illegal, or can I get away with that? I'm not wanting to rain on anyone's parade, that sounds like an awesome idea and I'd like to do that to my car as well, I just don't want to get a ticket for doing so.

·
Registered
376 Posts
No, the plywood is on the top of the package tray, under the grey upholstery material. Using a router, I countersunk the wood so the woofers are flush with the top of the plywood. The basket and magnet assembly protrude into the trunk. By removing the sound deadening material on the back of the tray upholstery it becomes quite accoustically transparent and makes room for the 3/4" plywood. There is absolutely no obstruction re: visibility as it all looks completely stock (and stealth).

I used a pair of aircraft tin snips to modify the openings to accomodate the woofers. I left a strip of metal about 4" X 4" towards the rear of the car and used this to slightly pull the torsion springs away from the speaker baskets.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Amp, by the way, it is not illegal to block your view out the back of your car. As long as you have the outside mirror on the drivers door, you're legal in all 50 states.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Dont know where you guys live but if you put them on your rear deck get your windows tinted because direct sunlight will hurt your speakers. Im here in Texas and it would just be a waste of money for me to do that.

Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
376 Posts
The package tray material is quite thick. Bass can pass through easily but I would think sunlight would be blocked or substantially reduced.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Under the "carpet". I had to scrape the backing off. It's quite thick. Removing it was necessary to make room for the plywood. I would have put the plywood underneath but there are clearance issues with a 12" woofer and the torsion springs that keep the trunk lid up when open.

·
Registered
467 Posts
no they barely even cover up my spoiler in my rear view mirror...

what i did was i cust the carpet off at frist...then i cut the tin enough so the speaker can clear...

then i made some mounts for the speakers with particle board...

i measured the board correctrly and cut the hole out..then i cut the wood in half to fit it in the hole..

after this i aligned the boards up and then screwed them into the tin...then after this i put the speakers in to holes and waa-laa...

also im putting port holes in between the 2 speakers...thats why everything is out at the momment...makin' new theories for sound quality.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
anomnity said:
after this i aligned the boards up and then screwed them into the tin...then after this i put the speakers in to holes and waa-laa...

also im putting port holes in between the 2 speakers...thats why everything is out at the momment...makin' new theories for sound quality.
Hmmm....I assume these are infinite baffle subs? What did you do to isolate the front from the back wave? If they are indeed IB subs, you should NOT port them. Ports require tuning. If you don't know the PRECISE amount of space behind the subs, you can't possibly get the tuning accurate.

Now if you've actually constructed an enclosure below the deck for the subs, that's a different story.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I agree

with an IB sub, there is no way of having a definite space for the sub, and that is needed for a ported enclosure.

If you do have an enclosure under the deck, then selecting proper port size, and length is a must, tuning is everything with ports, and the diameter of the tube should be noted as well, too small a port tube will give you alot of port noise, and seeing as it would be in the back deck, you would hear every bit of it.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
yea but

they don't require that they have to have a clear line of sight :p that's NC for ya

·
Registered
376 Posts
rear deck speakers

Sir William said:

Hmmm....I assume these are infinite baffle subs? What did you do to isolate the front from the back wave? If they are indeed IB subs, you should NOT port them. Ports require tuning. If you don't know the PRECISE amount of space behind the subs, you can't possibly get the tuning accurate.

Now if you've actually constructed an enclosure below the deck for the subs, that's a different story.
Mine are IB subs.
I have a piece of plywood mounted with threaded metal inserts and bolted to the frame behind the rear seat. The edges are all sealed with expanding foam so there is good isolation. My calculations taken from the Speaker CookBook suggests that the area in my trunk is about right for 2 of these subs. Frequency response measured with an RTA shows strong output to around 16HZ (-4db) with max of 115DB with an Alpine MRV-T757 bridged.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I would not put 6x9's or any speaker like that in the back window. On my friend's Cavalier, he couldn't get much bass, since it's free-air, and it sounded sucky. We put a box in the back under the dash for the 6x9's, still isn't too good, but we put in 2 10" Jensen's and it sounds great. We added a Pioneer GM-X862 760 wt. amp, $180 from Wal-Mart(pissed him off that I told him about a used one for $150 and he didn't have money so I bought it for me and like 2 weeks later he bought the one for $180). In my Ford Contour, I had 6x8's in the doors, and since it's a 4-door, it has minimal space, those babys shook the doors something powerful! Only hooked up to the 40x4 cd player. I had about as good sound quality, although without subs it wasn't much, but it still shook the doors and rattled the panels. Nice car, but mech. a POS. Spent about $3000 fixing it. Anyway, door speakers have worked good for me. But in the Cougar, not much sound. I might build some boxes into the doors.

Check out Cardomain, hundreds of Cougars and T-birds along with others. Good place for pics.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/93cougarxr7se

1 - 20 of 27 Posts