TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah I'm just looking at some 3.73 gears and 3.27 gears on eBay. I'm wondering how much they usually go for and what I would need to put them in. Would I need the whole rear end of a markVIII? the dif out to the brake rotors? if so, how much does that usually run? I have until tomorrow to bid on them and after that I am leaving on a business trip so I need to know ASAP. Someone please help me out here. Thanks
-Thomas

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
you can get brand new ones for $200. You can't install then yourself (not correctly anyway).

Mark8's have the same pumpkin as t-birds, just swap the gears.

If your looking at a drum to disc convertion, a mark8 rear would need to be modded to use springs.

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
Not the same as a Mark VIII......

GreenBird said:
you can get brand new ones for $200. You can't install then yourself (not correctly anyway).

Mark8's have the same pumpkin as t-birds, just swap the gears.

If your looking at a drum to disc convertion, a mark8 rear would need to be modded to use springs.
The unit itself is not the same as a T-Bird to Mark VII.The T-Bird housing is iron compared to aluminum housing in the Mark VIII.With the Mark housing you only had a choice of 307 gears unless it was an LSC which had 327s.Both have non-locking diff or are not limited slip differentials.Other then that "Yes" they are the same.
Gears can be bought new for like 180 and I have seen them as low as 169.You just have to search around.
Not a cut down on you GreenBird just getting the facts straight.
Thanks,
Chris

·
Premium Member
8,239 Posts
Just a FYI,

If you don't have tracloc, then don't even bother packing new gears into your OE pumpkin.

And if you have a worn tracloc (one wheel peel syndrome), then get a new diff also.

I like the FRPP diff, with the FRPP gears. Also, like the Eaton diff.

Tbirds have 28 splines.

JH

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Re: Not the same as a Mark VIII......

LX-Tasy said:

The unit itself is not the same as a T-Bird to Mark VII.The T-Bird housing is iron compared to aluminum housing in the Mark VIII.With the Mark housing you only had a choice of 307 gears unless it was an LSC which had 327s.Both have non-locking diff or are not limited slip differentials.Other then that "Yes" they are the same.
Gears can be bought new for like 180 and I have seen them as low as 169.You just have to search around.
Not a cut down on you GreenBird just getting the facts straight.
Thanks,
Chris
np, he was talking about swapping in a Mark8 rear drivetrain, which would be a bolt-in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i make a point never to buy used performance parts. usually dont have a warranty. and why buy someone elses stuff that they have probably ragged out. just a little advice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
forgot to mention this you can get ford motorsports gears for 175 from a dealer in atlanta, ga. just seach them there are only a few svo dealers there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts