TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey what’s up fellas today I got around to swapping out my old tired out diff mount for another tired diff mount, but with bolts!! Muhahahaaa

the front bushings are still the original, which I’m trying to snag a new pair in poly.

it’s crazy how much the diff jumped around back there with that old mount. I even get a lil less brake dive. Another added bonus is the bird feels a little better over ruff roads!
Sure beats buying a beefy setup. For my stock power levels I can’t complain. Now when I push the gas It actually responds aloot faster and smoother

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
It looks like your old diff mount had the thicker / beefier bushing. I'd do the same bolt mod to your original diff mount bushing and put it back on.

Also, did you replace the diff mount bushings at the "ears" of the differential up at its front?

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
Not yet hes looking for poly. Hey remember the old rear diff mod people used to re-pack the rubber ?? 🤔

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like your old diff mount had the thicker / beefier bushing. I'd do the same bolt mod to your original diff mount bushing and put it back on.

Also, did you replace the diff mount bushings at the "ears" of the differential up at its front?
I would but I’m not planning on putting much power for now. I’d like to upgrade down the road so this should be more than enough. And no I havnt changed the bushings just yet. I believe autozone has them in stock for 33$!! SCP charges double that hava

Not yet hes looking for poly. Hey remember the old rear diff mod people used to re-pack the rubber ?? 🤔
That would be a cool mod as well!! This one just seemed that much easier. Pop out the drill and drill them holes!!

·
Registered
3,544 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,061 Posts
Take the mount apart, clean it and, and glue it back together with Black RTV, filling all the empty spots.
Thats a little better than the original rubber.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tips guy! I’d like to, for the time being leave it as is. I’m gonna be receiving the poly tab bushings for the front of the diff tomorrow. Between these and the birds lazy 205hp I doubt I’d need to upgrade for a while.

I still have the cobra 4v sitting. I’m debating wether to rebuild it stronger or hit the JY, grab a mark 8 aluminum block do a simple rebuild and add my cobra intake and cams. Also I’ve been doing a BIT of reading on the 6r80 trans and it’s a beast to say the least.
But I’ve recently come across the new 8hp70 trans that it’s in a bunch of new cars. Their is also a stand alone computer for it!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

Hey fellas quick update. Yesterday I got around to installing the poly front bushings on the bird. Pretty easy mod to do, biggest thing is holding the bolt from the top of the diff since it’s 1 long screw that goes through the tabs. Also put a stand on the front of the diff, when you loosen the bolts the stand will catch it for you. Unless your a raging ball of muscle and don’t mind holding it up 👍
Over all, I can’t believe I didnt do this sooner! Something that I over looked this whole time.
my advice for anybody working on their bird is to fix any maintenance bushings and mounts first theeeeeen do mods on top. It’ll give you a better base to work on.

after both front and rear mounts have been freshened, the car handles bumps sooooo much smoother and I can tell the car corners flatter and gets much less unsettled over bumpy terrain. Also also I feel like I have much less brake dive! You’ll spend about 40 bucks for the front bushings and modding your current rear mount. Do it, do it now! Unless your running crazy power the stockmount should hold up just fine

·
Super Moderator
5,417 Posts
I suggest also that you remember to NOT use the parking brake to hold the car or the transmission before lifting it ... Need to put it up on jack stands so the rear end is free, and then be sure to put a jack or stand under the diff to do the work.

RwP

1 - 13 of 13 Posts