TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this goes here or not but I am posting a question about my bro's car. When he is at a complete stop and then accelerates to make a turn a vibration/shaking sound is coming from the rear. It could be from the steering. He took it to Ford and they found the rear brake pads were worn out, the rear axle seals were bad and leaking fluid onto the pads and rotors. The rotors were worn so they were resurfaced. The problem was not solved. Anybody have any ideas on what else could cause this problem. My bro has a Lincoln Navigator 2002. I would greatly appreciate some info. Thank You

·
Registered
232 Posts
Does it have a limited slip in the rear axle. Fords always need more friction modifier than stated by the factory so this could be a problem. I think there was a TSB for the birds for this. Find out about the axle and get back to us.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I've had to rebuild a couple of the 9.75 axles because of smoked clutches. Checking the grease will be a dead giveaway. If they are full of metal the clutches are likely wiped out.

There have been a few bulletins on the 9.75 and 10.5 axles. Junk 'fuel efficient' gear lube is the biggest problem. The carbon clutches will often be completely worn and still give good posi action. They have a Belleville spring with alot of pressure.

Hopefully the clutches are ok. If the fluid isn't all metaled out remove the cover and fill the diff with 75/140 wt. Add 2 bottles of friction modifier and a quart of Lucas.

I have been lazy and sucked all the grease out if it looks clean. Top it off with Lucas, 75/140 and friction modifier and you're done.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Can someone explain to me how a leaky axle seal is going to get fluid all the way down to pads?

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
its not a irs , its not even a tBird .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts