TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had a number of folks ask about the rear discs on the LE (They'll be up for sale this spring when it gets warm enough to remove them). In the mean time, I thought I'd start this thread to get some info on what parts are needed to do a drum to disc swap. I'm not certain, and I'd like to be able to ensure that whoever gets the set up gets all the parts needed. Might be useful as a how to for whoever gets them as well.

Obviously, to do a rear disc swap the following parts are needed:

1) Discs (duh)
2) Calipers
3) pads
4) brackets
5) assorted bolts

Added since post:
6) rear knuckles off of a disc car
7) caliper hose
8) dust shield
9) proportioning valve (maybe)

What am I missing here?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
here's the complete list even though u've said some of them. this is just to put the stock brakes on. rear knuckles off of a disc car, calipers, caliper hose, caliper bracket, dust shield, proportioning valve

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Other that what has been listed, the only other thing I can think of are the E-brake cable setup in the rear

As for the proportioning valve, when I did my swap on my 94 I didn't touch the proportioning valve and had no problems. I know it's been discussed before, I'm just saying mine didn't have a problem. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, anything else?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I also did not change the proportioning valve and works great. You also need new axle nuts. A good tip I got from 94DD was to keep torquing your axle nuts until they stay at 250 and then put on the old nuts as a double nut. It took driving my car 3 times for them to stay at 250 then I put on the old nuts.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Traveler - isn't it warm enough down there in Kansas so you can sell me that rear disc setup? lol

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL Warm on occasion, but still wet. We've got thunderstorms this weekend. and I've got to figure out a way to make the car look like its got all four wheels when all the parts I have to take off aren't really there.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I didn't change my proportioning valves and have zero issues. My car with 4 wide tires on it stops on a dime, the brakes work evenly. Smaller tires up front change things.
Alan

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Proportioning Valve

I just did the rear disc conversion on my '95 and was wondering about the proportioning valve. Several here say they have had zero issues, but I panic stopped on a limerock road and the front lock while the rear do not. How can I increase the rear bias and make them lock evenly?

I have bled the ba-jeez out of the rear calipers and don't have any air, but did have one weird issue while bleeding them. The passenger side screw squirts fluid out like crazy, while the driver side barely trickles out when I crack it loose. I figured maybe just a blockage in the bleeder screw, but couldn't find one. I found that these cars rear brake lines from both sides go to the prop valve in the front. Could I have a bad valve?

UPDATE: I think I found my answer here: http://forums.tccoa.com/showpost.php?p=19805&postcount=12
This is what I'm gonna run with unless y'all have something different to add...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts