TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hearing a clunking sound every now and then lately. It is not constant nor is it very loud.

I raised the rear today and crawled under and couldn't tell where it comes from for sure.

Only thing I noticed was that when I rotated one tire slowly from a standstill there was a second or two or 3 before the other tire would rotate. At the timew that it would rotate it would kind of clunk....

Now I know nothing about rear ends at all. But is this nromal to have the slack in the rear like that?

What parts in the rear can wear out other than shocks and how do I know if they are shot?

I really do not think it is the cause of the clunking because I sometimes hear it when I am going down the road. I just happened to observe the other noise in the rear end when I was looking.

any ideas?

car is a 94 LX w/4.6 V8

Mike

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Could be alot of things with an IRS. Any of the bushings could be shot, from the control arms all the way to the gear pod's rubber mounts.

Kinda tough to annalyze over the internet ;).

Shops usually look at things for free yanno :).

I too have a clunk, but think it's narrowed down to the rubber bushings/mounts for the pod. It clunks when going over bumps, but not when going from R to D - which if there was a clunk when shifting - it'd be gear slop. All my control arm bushings appear tight, but the ones on my pod are crappy.

Hope this helps - and good luck finding it :).

Kevin.

·
Administrator
8,694 Posts
Could also be a bad tranny mount, something else you can look at.

Joe

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK. Guess I will check all the bushings.

thanks,
Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts