TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know ,I know, Jack it up turn the wheel and count the revolutions. Is there another way to find out the rear end gear ratio? How about if you have positraction, suregrip, ok, what do you (us) Ford guys call it?

·
8,239 Posts
Sure thats right in the tech articles.

Under the "AX" on the door jam sticker:

Conventional Lock Rear Axle Ratio
G H 2.26
B C 2.47
8 M 2.73
7 - 3.07
Y Z 3.08
4 D 3.42
F R 3.45
5(W5) E(XE) 3.27
6 W 3.73
2 K 3.55
A - 3.63
J - 3.85

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
the correct ford term is limited slip. if you climb under neath your car, and look at the little steel tag bolted to the cover, the lower left number tells you what gear ratio and if it is a limited slip or not.

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
or you could give me your VIN number and i can run it for you here at work. sometimes the tag is missing.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
93 lx said:
sometimes the tag is missing.
Mine's missing. All I have is an old Ford oil change sticker on the driver door and a tire spec plate on the passenger side. Does Ford have a Web site I can get the ratio from online?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
So you have neither a sticker on the door or the jamb, and no tag on your pumpkin? Very odd. Sometimes the tags on the pumpkin get removed if the fluid is changed... depends on who does it. The door jamb sticker should be there, though ppl tend to paint over them if the car is repainted.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Silver95Bird said:
So you have neither a sticker on the door or the jamb, and no tag on your pumpkin?
I don't have the door jam stickers and the previous owner did repaint the car so maybe that's what happened. I haven't checked the pumpkin yet. I'm guessing I have a 3.08 open diff. What are the chances I am wrong? I have a manual that explains the VIN(It's in my car right now). Can I get the correct diff specs from the manual?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
With no door jamb sticker, you have to rely on the diff tag.
most 95 have 3.08 open. however some, like my old 95, and 95LX among others, did have 95s equipped with 3.27 Trak-lok axles, they are out there.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
do a burnout, and it will tell you oneof two things. if one wheel spin, you either have 3.08s or you have 3.27 and your traclok needs rebuilding :D (advice not to be taken literally) -greg

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Silver95Bird said:
With no door jamb sticker, you have to rely on the diff tag.
most 95 have 3.08 open. however some, like my old 95, and 95LX among others, did have 95s equipped with 3.27 Trak-lok axles, they are out there.
I took the tag off yesterday. Here's what it says:
Code:
      S 5 1 0 F
3   0 8   8 8   4 L 0 2
How do I read that? I could guess that 3 08 on the left means a 3.08 ratio, but I don't want to assume. And the 88 seems to indicate an 8.8" diff. I have never seen another mn12 tag before so I have no comparison. Who knows for sure?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
jk89cat said:
the correct ford term is limited slip. if you climb under neath your car, and look at the little steel tag bolted to the cover, the lower left number tells you what gear ratio and if it is a limited slip or not.
Negative, "limited slip" is actually the generic term to apply to any of them.

The specific manufacturer names are as follows:

GM : Positraction
Ford : Traction-Lok
Chrysler : Sure Grip

-J

·
Registered
73 Posts
As for interpreting that axle tag, this picture may help... its from the Ford Service Manual.

That should answer your question...

Willum

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Thank you willum. That helps, but it brings up some questions. A build date of 4L02 doesn't make sense since there is no month beginning with 'L'. Is it a code for a real month like July or something? Also, is the 3 08 on my plate representing 3LO8 Traction Lok? Or is that saying '3LO8' Traction Lok is the code for 3.08 Traction Lok, which I don't have?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
73 Posts
This is simply a guess here but since there are twelve months in the year and L is the 12th month, maybe it is december...

Then also if you consider the beginning letters of the 12 months
J F M A M J J A S O N D
A B C D E F G H I J K L

You can see why the first letter doesn't indicate the month because there are three that start with J and thus the reasoning for the abc way.

Just a guess now but i'm thinking that is correct. (the manual didn't explain this, at least not where I found the picture)

Willum

1 - 17 of 17 Posts