TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 92 thunderbird lx 5.0 and want to put a new gear ratio in. I want to know what the stock ratio is and the what kid of set-up I have. Any help would be apprieciated

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Hi - welcome to TCCOA :).

My guess, is that you'll have a 3.08 in there - same as my 5.0L 92 Cat. Probably also has a 'posi'. There is a way of reading the code on your door sticker, but I'm not familiar with what codes are what ratio. A fail proof way, is to read the tag that's attached to your rear end pod.

What gear ratio are you looking at for upgrade?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Top end for what? 1/4 mile track? Or outrunning the cops ;)? They go 140mph by the way.

I haven't been to a track yet, but on a rough 1/4 mile calculation (from farm edge to farm edge on back roads), I only top out 3rd gear with my 4.30's.

3.73's - nothing to be afraid of. Excellent choice, but wasn't enough for me. Still a bit boggey, and the 4.10's I thought I was getting turned out to be 4.30's - somebody didn't know how to count I guess.... But, they weren't going to waste though!

Kevin.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
MercCougarXR7 said:
Top end for what? 1/4 mile track? Or outrunning the cops ;)? They go 140mph by the way.

I haven't been to a track yet, but on a rough 1/4 mile calculation (from farm edge to farm edge on back roads), I only top out 3rd gear with my 4.30's.

3.73's - nothing to be afraid of. Excellent choice, but wasn't enough for me. Still a bit boggey, and the 4.10's I thought I was getting turned out to be 4.30's - somebody didn't know how to count I guess.... But, they weren't going to waste though!

Kevin.
merc, are you sure those are 4.30's? im taching out 3rd with my 4.10s and my trap speed isnt that high. taching out 3rd with 4.30s cant be very fast.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I mean total top speed. And I heard stock topped out at 145 but was electronically limited somewhere before that. I read an old article aboput someone putting a 3.55 in a tbird and cutting the top from 105-110 to 95. I know Ive been about 112-115 though.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I'm not sure what top end you'll have with what gear, but it WILL affect it.

JRob - no, I'm not sure at all :). I haven't tested it at a track yet - and there may be a difference in rev limits that the 5.0 and 4.6 can acheive. I probably will be right at the redline in 3rd by the end of the 1/4 though, but even if I do have to hit 4th, it shifts pretty quick with that shift kit.

Oh, I am sure that the gears are 4.30's, as 43 teeth on the ring devide by 10 teeth on the pinion.

Kevin.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
50TBRD said:
I mean total top speed. And I heard stock topped out at 145 but was electronically limited somewhere before that. I read an old article aboput someone putting a 3.55 in a tbird and cutting the top from 105-110 to 95. I know Ive been about 112-115 though.
I think you would have a limiter at ~128mph. simply mutiply by your current ratio, then divide by the new ratio.

128mph*3.08/3.73= 105mph
But that is IF your car has a limiter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts