TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear end links seem to work loose, rather quickly even. Anyone else experience this? I tighten them per the instructions which said to tighten them so that you can just spin the collar around the bolt, and they loosen to the point that the washer clanks around audibly when you hit bumps :eek:

When I say rather quickly, I mean I tightened it last night, drove to des Moines today (4 hours drive approximately) and checked it when I got there and it was loose. I auto x'ed and drove it back, haven't had a chance to crawl under there again yet sinc eI got home. Wanted to watch the end of the NASCAR race since I heard on the radio my man Mark was kicking ***. I shouldn't have watched the end, but at least he didn't blow up.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
dude, use thread locker, napa has the green (low strength), blue (medium strength), and red (take a blow torch to it to take it apart strength) tubes, use the blue, it is still possible to take it apart if you need too, lol......:D

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only one side does it too is the most puzzling thing. I tightened it again tonight :rolleyes: piece of crap. I'll take my thread locker with me tomorrow though and try that when I get to the auto cross, I'm sure I'll be retightening it there anyway. Good thing it is easy to get too.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
well, if it will make you feel better use threadlock and a jam nut, never hurts to be too cautious....:D

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, you should see how I mounted the front bar, I might just do that, it is a standard nut so I should be able to get one easy enough. It sucks finding metric stuff.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no Lowe's here. I have found that some Ace's are best though. But standard stuff you can go buy anywhere, Metric stuff you are limited on where you can go for a good selection, that is more what I meant. When you are in a bind and need something at a weird time, you are going to be more likely to find standard stuff than Metric.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
do you have pepboys in your hood?

They sell Energy Suspenion "Universal" links in 4 diferent sizes....with nutes, washers, and poly bushings. the link itself is a grade 5 bolt.

joseph

·
Registered
793 Posts
Any possibility you could post a photo of the endlink? I think mine is doing the same thing and I don't know if I could over tighten it and do damage? What about the top end of the link? How can I tell if that bushing needs replacing or if the new lower bushing just isn't tightened enough?
Sideoiler
4 Cam Bird said:
My rear end links seem to work loose, rather quickly even. Anyone else experience this? I tighten them per the instructions which said to tighten them so that you can just spin the collar around the bolt, and they loosen to the point that the washer clanks around audibly when you hit bumps :eek:

When I say rather quickly, I mean I tightened it last night, drove to des Moines today (4 hours drive approximately) and checked it when I got there and it was loose. I auto x'ed and drove it back, haven't had a chance to crawl under there again yet sinc eI got home. Wanted to watch the end of the NASCAR race since I heard on the radio my man Mark was kicking ***. I shouldn't have watched the end, but at least he didn't blow up.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow if I can. I just double nutted mine, that should keep it from loosening itself anymore. I always though the double nylocks on the king pins of the soap box cars was ridiculous, now I know why they did that.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Do you have the ADDCO 1 3/8" bars? I have them, and my rear bar does the same thing. That brass-colored washer jingles every time I hit a bump. It sounds like my car has bells on it. I get under there and tighten them down, but they work loose withing a few days again. I'm going to try blue loctite on it this weekend.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, those are the bars I am running. Glad to know it isn't just my car doing it. This car has pissed me off all summer. First it was the bushing, then some mounting issues with the front bar, then the rear end links. I can't wait to see what is next.:mad: It'll probably just snap an end link now that it can't come loose, anyone had that happen with the Addco style end links? I know the stockers can break, the one I took off had been broke and welded back together :rolleyes: (by a previous owner.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts