TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put Vogtland springs on my '89 SC and had a new set of rear sway bar endlinks (shorted ones) put in and not even 6 months later....both of them broke!!! Found a couple of pieces in the driveway. Has there been any issues with materials that anyone has heard of ??? If not, then what would cause this to happen??

Thanks!

Slowride

·
Registered
145 Posts
The rear endlinks on these cars aren't very robust. I've seen a setup made with spherical bearings but I don't recall where. It was a lot stronger than the stock type setup. You didn't mention if you had a larger rear bar. This would add to the stress placed on the endlinks too.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
If it broke both endlinks, something isn't right; the stress should have gone away when the first link broke.

Can you post a pic of the endlinks and the position of the swaybar?

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
I replaced a broken set of Energy Suspension rear endlinks a month or so ago that were about 5 years old. I was jacking up the rear to patch a tire, and as I was jacking it up, the head of the drivers side endlink snapped off. I checked the passenger side and the head on it had already broken off, and looked like it had been broken for a couple months.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I've noticed this with my shortened endlinks:

The factory stock endlinks have a pivot on the end to allow the angle to change between the endlinks sway bar. The newer "shortened" links are simple bolts that run through the swaybar, no pivot. This works fine (on my car) till I jack the car up and the angle between the swaybar and the link gets extreme. Then the bolt that is the endlink bends. it hasn't broken yet, but I have replaced them twice now. I'm trying to think of a way to make shortened links that have pivots.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts

The factory stock endlinks have a pivot on the end to allow the angle to change between the endlinks sway bar. The newer "shortened" links are simple bolts that run through the swaybar, no pivot. This works fine (on my car) till I jack the car up and the angle between the swaybar and the link gets extreme. Then the bolt that is the endlink bends. it hasn't broken yet, but I have replaced them twice now. I'm trying to think of a way to make shortened links that have pivots.
x2

-Maic

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
i haven't looked at it but an idea popped into my head. couldn't you take the swivel part off. IIRC the swivel is held on with one bolt and you could simple move and bolt it onto the shorter sway bar links.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts

May some like this, with the Factory EndLink Bracket on top to allow for movement.
I found a link to a company that makes a similar top part in various sizes and strength. I'm just don't know yet witch strength/size to go with.

-Maic

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
May some like this, with the Factory EndLink Bracket on top to allow for movement.
I found a link to a company that makes a similar top part in various sizes and strength. I'm just don't know yet witch strength/size to go with.

-Maic
i like those as they are fully adjustable one size fits all. only thing i dont like is that they look some what cheap.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I replaced a broken set of Energy Suspension rear endlinks a month or so ago that were about 5 years old. I was jacking up the rear to patch a tire, and as I was jacking it up, the head of the drivers side endlink snapped off. I checked the passenger side and the head on it had already broken off, and looked like it had been broken for a couple months.
speaking of which what is the correct part number for the energy suspension shorter sway bar endlinks?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
INTERCEPTOR: Still using the stock sway bars.

GROG6: No pics to post, I only found 1/2 of one end link, 1 poly bushing, 1 spacer and 1 washer.

Like I said, I have no idea why this happened...maybe the shop that intalled them tightened them too tight. The next set I'll put on myself. I wouldn't think the stress on the endlinks would have increased with it being lowered, maybe if I used the stock ones...but the shorter ones should keep everything about the same, right? I know the stock style one's I put on the CAT two years ago are still in one piece. Thanks for the input guys. The pics of the end links with the swivel at the top look pretty descent...just not sure how strong the main bar/shaft would be with it being completely threaded like that.

·
Registered
793 Posts
This may sound like a stupid question, but if one of the end links are broken would this cause the passenger side rear end to bottom out on over-sized tires? Like 255/60/15's

·
Registered
237 Posts
This may sound like a stupid question, but if one of the end links are broken would this cause the passenger side rear end to bottom out on over-sized tires? Like 255/60/15's
The only thing the end link being broken should affect is corners. Is the rubbing only happen during left hand turns?

Normally for rubbing on the back, make sure you have the correct tire size and back spacing. If you want to fit a little more tire, roll the lip inside the fender up so it doesn't hit the tire.

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts