TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What rear end has the 3.73 gears in it? I'm going to the junkyard soon and I was wondering which car has it so I can see if I can find one along with the rear disc brake swap and front spindles/hubs. I had 2 people tell me that if I put the 3.73 rear end in my car that it will pull hard as hell.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
yep.... very true. I love mine :) As for the pulling hard as hell... its more like it just smokes the tires like a mofo :/ But thats crappy tires and a 3500 stall converter. Good luck

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What rear end would be good for drag racing? I would still like it to be driveable on the street, And I really don't want to swap in a 5-Speed Trans. because I live in the city and I don't feel like shifting every 3 seconds.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Buy!

Hello

As stated the best would be purchase NEW.

I have 3.90's in mine from Motive gear. + an install kit. You can go & get a 8.8 pumpkin with a trac-lok, have that rebuilt.

Then install your New gears. Don't for get the Axle seals, They don't come in the kit.

Get yourself some SC axle shafts & have your rear hubs redrilled to the 4.5 bolt pattern.

I would buy NEW front hubs a Rotors for a mustang 99up.
Use front spindles from a 94 up T-bird. Don't forget to keep the sway bar end links & calipers. As they are different than your 92.(unless you have a SPORT).

Oh yeah. you will need a new speedo gear. to match your NEW gear ratio.

Paul

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
The highest and most common track-Loc rear you can find in a MN-12 is a 3.27 in a V6 car with an automatic. The axle code is E and is on the door jamb.
The next is 3.08 which is probably what you have. the axle code for that is Y for a open rear and Z for a track-Loc rear.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I should be getting a 1992 TBird/Cougar Factory Service Manual today or tomorrow that I ordered from ebay, Would it tell me how to replace everything myself if I got the parts from a junkyard? I don't really want to spend anything over $500.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Getting the back lash set properly is very important. If not you will shell your gears in no time. It requires a dial indicator & shims. No two rearends are the same.

Having gears put in is best left to the professionals.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts