TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search already, as well as spending half the night looking all over the internet to see what I could find.

I gathered that on the 1993 Tbird I am trying to find that the car has IRS. I am also going to assume that it has the 8.8 rear end, which would be the same as the stangs.

Do the gears from stangs work?

Are all of these 'Trac-lok' rear ends if they are in a 5.0?

My plans are to buy this car and make it an all-out racer. (I am not some car n00b, I just found a VERY good deal on a 93 AOD 5.0 Tbird in good running condition, and will probably buy it regardless. Considering doing 4.10s, T5 swap, gutting the interior, Tien Struts and Springs, and maybe a custom roots blower setup (or not, since this is just kinda a beater project). We will see about the modding, but at least 4.10s and probably a T5 conversion.

So yeah, my main question is about the rear end setup.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
824 Posts
the pumpkin from a mustang will fit. Not ALL V8 Cars came with a trac-loc. All S/C's did though.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The gears from the mustang will work. Not all of the 5.0 birds came with a limited-slip axle. Yours probably has a 3.08 ratio. Look on the drivers door under the axle abbrev if it has a M, Z, or E in it, its a trac -lox. Or you can look on the axle housing tag and it will tell you your ratio also. For instance 3 08 ratio is open axle and a 3L08 is a limited slip. The L after the first number signifies a limited-slip.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I can machine the mustang side gear to work in your car. The mustang carrier will fit ,but the axles don't work properly unless you machine the gears.
Alan

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
If you want to build a roots blower setup, I have a design for 2 eaton M-90s on a 5.0 in an MN-12 with an electronic bypass valve setup. I can't afford to build it right now, but if you have a bottom end and a drive train that can take it, the setup would be pretty cheap to build (probably only about $1000). Let me know if you are interested. I live in Mooresville and I would love to see my idea implemented since I am a broke student right now. PM me if you are interested and maybe we could get together.

Mike

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
MarcAsbill said:
I did a search already, as well as spending half the night looking all over the internet to see what I could find.

I gathered that on the 1993 Tbird I am trying to find that the car has IRS. I am also going to assume that it has the 8.8 rear end, which would be the same as the stangs.

Do the gears from stangs work?

Are all of these 'Trac-lok' rear ends if they are in a 5.0?

My plans are to buy this car and make it an all-out racer. (I am not some car n00b, I just found a VERY good deal on a 93 AOD 5.0 Tbird in good running condition, and will probably buy it regardless. Considering doing 4.10s, T5 swap, gutting the interior, Tien Struts and Springs, and maybe a custom roots blower setup (or not, since this is just kinda a beater project). We will see about the modding, but at least 4.10s and probably a T5 conversion.

So yeah, my main question is about the rear end setup.

Thanks in advance.
tein doesnt make any suspension parts for our cars.

joseph

·
Registered
437 Posts
Not True

Teal94BirdV8 said:
Not ALL V8 Cars came with a trac-loc. All S/C's did though.
Not all SC's came with a Trac-Loc.
All '89 - '93 SC's had Trac-Loc's.
The '94 - '95 SC-s had Open Diffs, and Traction-Control.

68COUGAR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts