TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a complete rear end out of supercoupe going to the scrapper.

I plan on putting into my thunderbird but I wanted to know what I should do to it while I have it out. I plan on getting gears installed(It's 3.27 right now, I want 3.73 at least).

What else should I replace? Is there a decent bushing set or any upgrades I should make? I think I'm going to add the lowering springs while I have it out.

Also I've read of people swapping parts off of mustangs to make it fit their wheels..should I just go ahead and get that out of the way?

Thanks for your input guys!

·
Registered
22 Posts
for the pumpkin go look on ebay or you fav auto store and look for a rebuild kit

for the suspension take a look at the boots and make sure they are OK and if you want to spend the bucks it would be a good time to go ahead and switch to poly bushings you can get them off supercoupeperformance.com

Yes it would be a good time to swap the hubs etc if you were going to go with the stang tires and set up but its not to hard to do with it on......

oh and a good time for airbags to.... if you want

·
Registered
882 Posts
Weld and reinforce it, new isolatror bushings, and get it recoated.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I personally would just start replacing everything...might as well if you have it apart. Depends on what your budget is. Is it a daily driver? Are you doing the work yourself?

If you're swapping rear ends...definately replace the diff bushings and brace it (racecougar is selling some quality braces).

I'm rebuilding the entire suspension, so sway bar, end links, control arms, springs, shocks, shock mounts, etc...

Mustang hub swap tech article -- http://members.tccoa.com/dlf/Article.html

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
You can get Pumpkin rebuild kits pretty cheap at Supercoupeperformance.com or from Jason here on TCCoA. (FordPartsCounter)

Definitely get the corrosion off of it and coat it. There isn't a lot of work to do to the rear suspension that can't be done while the unit is on the car.

·
Texas Chapter Director
5,173 Posts
What year SC did you get the pumkin out of? 94/95 SC's have 3.31's in the rear and DO NOT have trac lok in them.

·
Registered
366 Posts
i would have snagged the axles with the rearend as the sc axles are much more beefier than any other t-bird axles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts