TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when I'm driving down the road, I hear a thunk thunk thunk thunk coming from the rear. Hitting the Ebrake doesn't stop it but it does change frequency with speed.

I haven't got under to take a look yet, but I have looked around from the rear -- nothing's fallen off or hanging down :)

ideas / guidence?

·
Registered
456 Posts
sounds like an axle problem, or a hub bearing. Thump-thump-thump isnt a good thing. especially if it changes frequency with speed changes.

of course, you could have a separated belt in your tire...I would jack up one side at a time, and in neutral, spin the tire....watch it to see if it is OOR(out of round). then check the other side.

best thing to do when dealing with a driveability noise is, start from the gound-up. Literally.

tires, wheels, hubs, axles, bearings, mounts, U-joints,driveshaft.

there are many things that you can SEE, so like i said... start at the ground, and work your way up/forward/in.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Sir Will posted vids of his bad rear bearing not all that long ago ... scary site for sure.

·
Registered
348 Posts
is it more of a growl? growls' tend to be bearings ... just on a hunch, pop your centers off, and see if all your lugs are good and solid, in other words, make sure yo havent snapped a stud ... can you pin point whether or not its coming from inside the diff or not?

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
definately not a growl -- and I drive a lincoln :D I can see all my lugs all the time

no, its definately coming from the drivers side. Friend of mine is guessing CV boot which I guess would make sense (like its ripped and just floppin around). We'll see though - nice storm coming in this weekend so I don't know if I can make it to the parents place to check it all out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts