TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the basemodel 89 T-bird,and I'm having some serious wobble in the rear end. I took a turn rather sharp about 3 days ago,and since then,its been nothing but trouble. At any speed,it feels like the back tires are gonna wobble right off. If you've never tightend the lugs down all the way,thats what it feels like. Before anyone says it,the lugs have been tightend with a torque stick and an air wrench. (was done at work) My thoughts are,its either the driveshafts coming lose or the diff popped a gear or something. I have to figure out what it is asap,I have to get to school 4 days a week,and I'm very limited on funds($300 is about all I can spend right now). Thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
249 Posts
your wheel bearing could be shot. jack the car up and grab the wheel and try to move it. If it moves back and forth the bearing is prob shot

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Roughly $27 at Rockauto.com. Before shipping and the 5% discount.

·
Registered
615 Posts
If you are not hearing a humming noise, more then likely the wheel bearing is still fine, but I doubt it since you have been driving it like that for 3 days. Try tightning the axle nut to 250ft/lbs, if the problem exist then as the others said its the wheel bearing. As AL told you the price of the wheel bearing, you still have to pay a machine shop to press it in.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Ashish said:
you still have to pay a machine shop to press it in.
also wanted to add from what I was told, not too many shops have the right size die for the press for the rear bearing. The dealer can press them in though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts