TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 Thunderbird LX, 3.8L :cool:

I was changing the oil in my Tbird tonight, on a lift at a buddy's shop. I happened to look at the rear end, and it was covered in rear diff fluid :eek:

It looks like theres these two traction control sensors, one on each side of the diff. The one nearest the exhaust seems to be where the fluid is coming from, it doesnt seem to be coming from the main gasket. Is there a gasket on this little thing? Its the metal block thing that comes out to like a large gear, and where it mounts to the diff is where the fluid seems to be coming from. Also, I need to make a trip to Illinois next week (~300 miles). How bad is the little gasket on this guy to change? :confused:

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Those sensors do not go into the diff the just mount there to look at the exciter rings on the inside of the halfshafts. My guess is you have a bad oil seal where the half shaft goes into the diff on that side. I had one go bad on my last diff and had oil all over on that side becouse the half shaft slings it around I think. I do not think they are too bad to replace but I have only installed them, never removed them because I had another diff rebuilt for me with 3.55's and just did the swap instead :D

-Miller

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Do you by any chance have a photo? I'm not that up on the 97's, but I thought the only things mounted to the differential were the ABS sensors (which I thought were also used by the Traction Control. I don’t think those bolt holes go all the way in, just blind, threaded holes), and the vent tube.

So there is something that goes "into" the differential besides the pinion, half shafts, and vent tube? :beek:

Are you talking about the half shafts? They have what looks like a gear (which is the toner ring for the ABS/TC). There is a seal (not gasket) where they go into the differential and the seal is a wear item and can leak. The seal is cheap... getting the half-shafts out can be a little time consuming depending on how you want to do it. :thumbsup:

But definitely something that can be replaced in a driveway on jack stands. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Get some engine Gunk, and clean it good, then see where it comes from after a short drive.

Here is a shot of my rear end. If it is leaking from one of the sides, it is a out put seal leaking.

·
Registered
232 Posts
yeah for sure check that side oil seals. I have seen many of these go bad on these cars. Heck I have to replace mine also soon.....

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
392Bird said:
Get some engine Gunk, and clean it good, then see where it comes from after a short drive.

Here is a shot of my rear end. If it is leaking from one of the sides, it is a out put seal leaking.

How did you get yours red? he told me they only came in black. did you have yours redone?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
pinion seal might be leakin.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Thomas said:
How did you get yours red? he told me they only came in black. did you have yours redone?

I got mine direct from Billetflow before Rick started carrying them. Billetflow is the one that makes them for the T-Bird and Cobra. You are better off getting it from Rick, since there is a slight difference in them, and the ones that Rick gets are T-Bird specific for proper mounting at the rear mount.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts