TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was just wondering if it is possible to install a Tracloc into an existing rear end or if it would just be easier and cheaper to get a new diff.
If I should get a new one does anyone have a recommendations. I am going to be installing 3.73 gears.
Thanks
Leggo

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Just buy the FRPP 3.73 pumpkin. Much easier and teh cost difference will be minimal from intalling them in your car and you get an aluminum pumpkin. Check teh for sale section there was some one selling them there.

-Miller

·
Registered
178 Posts
You got to be carefull about installing trac-loc from an 8.8 straight axle like from a mustang. But, you can use parts for 99+ cobra's since they are very simular in the rear end like IRS.

Clay

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why do I have to be careful when installing a trac-loc from a mustang or something without IRS?
Leggo

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
You don't. If you have access to a shop with a press and a nice assortment of tools, I'd suggest doing the gears yourself. You should be able to get a set of Motorsport gears for ~$100-125 on ebay. A used carrier, solid axle is easier to find usually, ~$75-100 max. MAKE SURE IT'S 28 SPLINE. Maybe a clutch rebuild kit for the traction lock if it has high miles ~$50. Then you need a pinion and carrier shim kit, pinion seal, crush sleeve, friction modifier, and some gear marking compound ~$50. That looks like a little over $300 in parts, if you replace the clutches. Some guy is selling the IRS units with 3.73 TL for like $525 or something. It just depends on if you want to do it yourself. I just installed TL and 3.73s on mine this weekend. It was very time consuming but it was a very good experience. I spent maybe $225 on the whole deal for parts+ a cheap *** dial indicator from Harbor Freight. Oh yeah, crush sleeve is a *****!!!!
-Rob

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sounds a lot like what I have.
I got the 8.8 trac-loc, with 12,000 miles on it, and gears on e-bay for $185. I ordered the installation kit from Summit for $79, which has everythinhg in it. And the shop I work at has all the equipment to install them. Now I just need to get a chip and I will be ready to go. :D
Thanks for all the info, and the help.
Leggo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts