Reactions: Woodman

·
Registered
3,779 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
So when I went to get an alignment, I was told my rear upper control arm to knuckle bushing was too worn out and needed replacement, as well as rear upper control arm to frame bushing was "nearly worn out".

So I found the bushings on RockAuto, but would these work?
Energy Suspension 4 3163G Rear Control Arm Bushings Fit Ford Thunderbird | eBay

Are these even the right ones?
Guy's he's not looking for the ones that go into the aluminum spindle, he needs the INNER one that connects the UCA to the IRS subframe. For those, I would highly recommend getting the Raybestos ones, as they have the correct inner-portion that rotates to provide eccentricity control. I ordered mine from Amazon, but you can get them from Rock Auto, so long as they didn't package some other manufacturer's bushing in a Raybestos box.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guy's he's not looking for the ones that go into the aluminum spindle, he needs the INNER one that connects the UCA to the IRS subframe. For those, I would highly recommend getting the Raybestos ones, as they have the correct inner-portion that rotates to provide eccentricity control. I ordered mine from Amazon, but you can get them from Rock Auto, so long as they didn't package some other manufacturer's bushing in a Raybestos box.
Actually, the one to the spindle is also worn out, so I will be getting all three spindle bushings as well as the arm to frame one. I didn't see the Raybestos one on RockAuto, but they do have the AC Delco that is supposedly the correct design.

·
Registered
241 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,127 Posts
So when I went to get an alignment, I was told my rear upper control arm to knuckle bushing was too worn out and needed replacement, as well as rear upper control arm to frame bushing was "nearly worn out".
Guy's he's not looking for the ones that go into the aluminum spindle, he needs the INNER one that connects the UCA to the IRS subframe.
Also, GM. Not instead of. >:)>:)

RwP

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys, guys, be nice. You've both been very helpful!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I'm going to order the rear knuckle bushings from Energy Suspension. I'm sure I'll understand more as I take the rear upper control arm out to replace it's bushings as well, but once the upper control arm is off, can I just remove the knuckle and replace the bushings or do I need something more than a jack under the rear lower control arm to hold the spring in place?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Can't answer your question (besides I think its already been answered) But I can say the parts are for a really awesome car! hehe

·
Registered
251 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Can I be the noob to ask if these fit on a 97 cougar aswell? I want to assume they do however on the energy suspension parts.Com site it only lists the thunderbird as an applicable fitting.
The aluminum knuckles are identical.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
So I'm SOL when it comes to the poly then? Dang itt. So I'm a have to purchase from scp then I assume?
The Knuckle in the rear is the same as the mark 8; the mark 8 lower control arm bushings are different. They're at the frame.

That's the poly knuckle bushings I bought and installed.

There's a hole drilled on the opposite side, tapped, with a zerk fitting for grease; it goes thru the poly to the metal sleeve.
Poly squeaks without grease. :)
Make sure it can't hit during the full stroke. :grin2:

Reactions: MerkCougar

·
Super Moderator
5,127 Posts
So I'm SOL when it comes to the poly then? Dang itt. So I'm a have to purchase from scp then I assume?
Umm ...

If the Cougar and Thunderbird (And Mark VIII!) knuckles are identical, why would you be SOL?

RwP

·
Registered
251 Posts
I didn't understand exactly what was different. I thought because the arm was different that the knuckle would be. Which is why I mentioned I'm a noob just trying to learn so I know exactly what I'm buying and exactly where and how it fits. I'm not trying to waste anyone's time.

·
Super Moderator
5,127 Posts
I didn't understand exactly what was different. I thought because the arm was different that the knuckle would be. Which is why I mentioned I'm a noob just trying to learn so I know exactly what I'm buying and exactly where and how it fits. I'm not trying to waste anyone's time.
The aluminum knuckles are identical.
For the knuckles, nothing. Well, there's the drum/disc variance - not all drum brake knuckles have the disc brake bracket holes drilled out. Easy to fix, though. So, same bushings work on both.

I'm not sure why you thought you'd be SOL since, as GM said, the knuckles are identical. Again, save for the lack of holes in some of the drum brake knuckles ... same bushings, though, either way.

RwP

1 - 20 of 28 Posts