TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased this bushing tool set (used), so I'm ready to get cracking on my rear rebuild.

However, I ran into this prob in my parts research: these lowers are apparently only available in poly.
If someone does offer these in rubber, please clue me in.

I'm aware of the oft-touted virtues of poly and Delrin, but I have no ambitions to turn my DD into a track star, have never had a prob with wheel hop (unless you count bouncing off potholes and debris :bangwall:) and live where there are plenty of bad roads, thus I prefer to have as close to the cushy OEM ride as I can get for a reasonable cost (which precludes buying OEM knuckles, if even available).
Holy run-on sentence, Batman!

Anyway, Moogs are apparently an "improved", supposedly more robust rubber composition than OEM, but still closer to OEM than poly. The front upper and lower Moogs I installed for that end's rebuild seem to have garden-variety rubber (it's soft, anyway), so :zdunno:

Btw, I do have new toe compensators that I bought a while back, because I had planned to use softer bushings all around.

Why the almost complete lack of aftermarket lower knuckle bushings?
I doubt it's because OEM's were never available as separate components, because the upper one wasn't, either, according to the Ford parts catalog I'm looking at.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
The moogs feel about like stock; the polys are very stiff. :)

Make sure the upper inner is the correct one; there were some that were made wrong; RaceCougar made a thread.

I never saw stock ones offered either; when I looked in 2005, they sent me to Advanced.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts

·
̇
3,701 Posts
I recently purchased this bushing tool set (used), so I'm ready to get cracking on my rear rebuild.

However, I ran into this prob in my parts research: these lowers are apparently only available in poly.
If someone does offer these in rubber, please clue me in.

I'm aware of the oft-touted virtues of poly and Delrin, but I have no ambitions to turn my DD into a track star, have never had a prob with wheel hop (unless you count bouncing off potholes and debris :bangwall:) and live where there are plenty of bad roads, thus I prefer to have as close to the cushy OEM ride as I can get for a reasonable cost (which precludes buying OEM knuckles, if even available).
Holy run-on sentence, Batman!

Anyway, Moogs are apparently an "improved", supposedly more robust rubber composition than OEM, but still closer to OEM than poly. The front upper and lower Moogs I installed for that end's rebuild seem to have garden-variety rubber (it's soft, anyway), so :zdunno:

Btw, I do have new toe compensators that I bought a while back, because I had planned to use softer bushings all around.

Why the almost complete lack of aftermarket lower knuckle bushings?
I doubt it's because OEM's were never available as separate components, because the upper one wasn't, either, according to the Ford parts catalog I'm looking at.

Nice tool set.. :)

For some strange..ok idiotic reason.. :rolleyes: Ford decided the only way you could replace the Lower Knuckle Bushings is if you bought a whole new knuckle.. :facepalm:

Then aftermarket suppliers like Moog,AC/Delco,Raybestos..etc,etc...Decided to follow suit..I suppose without a Ford piece to replicate that could be the reason??

If you want to keep a somewhat squishy ride back there..Just use Poly..That's your only choice anyways unless you get hardcore with something like Delrin..

The Rear Lower Knuckle Bushings are not available on RockAuto..

Rayo..

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suppose without a Ford piece to replicate that could be the reason??
Maybe it involves patent/licensing and perhaps Energy Suspension was willing to invest where nobody else would.

The Rear Lower Knuckle Bushings are not available on RockAuto..
AFAICT, the only current option is ES polys. Prothane doesn't make them, either -- at least, I didn't find them on their site. I guess it must be profitable enough for ES to bother.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
The poly bushings do Not feel squishy; they don't seem to give at all.

Definitely not like the stock ones.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The poly bushings do Not feel squishy; they don't seem to give at all.
I saw your post in another thread re: gravel roads are almost impossible due to the stiffness of poly.

Do.. not.. want. :(

There must be something out there that belongs on some later model vehicle that's practically identical to ours, or can be slightly modded to fit. Has anyone measured our various bushings and gone hunting in parts stores for aftermarkets with the same or very similar dimensions?

·
Super Moderator
5,127 Posts
I dunno, the Cougar rides just fine on gravel roads with poly knuckle bushings and JJJJ springs

Secret is to NOT lock the bolts down until the knuckle is supporting the weight of the rear end on that side. Not fun, having the jack stand under the knuckle (and the jack JUST clearing the LCA), but it works. Or seems to.

And I get plenty of gravel roads when I take the Coug out to job sites. Sometimes the instructions have, as the way to get there, "Turn left off the dirt road ... "

RwP

·
Registered
203 Posts
I dunno, the Cougar rides just fine on gravel roads with poly knuckle bushings and JJJJ springs

Secret is to NOT lock the bolts down until the knuckle is supporting the weight of the rear end on that side. Not fun, having the jack stand under the knuckle (and the jack JUST clearing the LCA), but it works. Or seems to.

And I get plenty of gravel roads when I take the Coug out to job sites. Sometimes the instructions have, as the way to get there, "Turn left off the dirt road ... "

RwP
My friend installed poly bushings everywhere on his old '93 Nissan truck. He made the mistake of tightening everything up while the truck was still up in the air. It is now the stiffest, worst riding vehicle I've ever ridden in; just awful.

I'm probably going to go with the delrin bushings for the rear of mine; already have the Mark VIII arms waiting for them.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
You need to be sure to provide for lubing the poly bushings; in my mark arms, I drilled them thru to the metal sleeve, and added a zerk fitting.

They squeak like crazy if they go dry, lol.

:D

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sockets

What sockets do I need for the rear?

I bought a 30mm deep well back when I was doing the front strut rods, and I will have a new 27mm deep coming in soon (for the bushing tool). I have old Craftsman deep well kits SAE & metric (up to 19mm) and shallow 21 & 22. On 2nd thought, the 21 may be a deep well, hafta check that.

Any others I need for a complete rebuild on my '96?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I had hoped to get away with just replacing the 6 bushings per side max, assuming I find that my subframe bushings are in decent shape -- if they aren't, then I'm in trouble, so I'll check that before I start yanking parts.
I had not planned on replacing the differential hanger/mount unless absolutely necessary.

I haven't yet closely examined everything back there and at the moment only know for certain that the inner upper bushings are gone -- knocking noises, then verified a while back with car lifted and pulling/pushing on wheel; camber at rest is also very negative on both sides.

I just wanted to be sure I had the tools on hand for pretty much any circumstance I may run into after I get the rear on stands.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
socket specs

I went under the car today and ascertained the various socket/wrench sizes required for rear end bushing replacement. It seemed there's room for deep well sockets at most, if not all, locations. Here they are:

upper control arm to subframe:
nut = 15mm
bolt head = 18mm

knuckle upper:
nut = 21mm
bolt = 18mm

knuckle lower:
nuts = 21mm
bolts = 18mm

lower control arm to frame (front pivot):
cap nut = 40.5-40.6mm (via calipers)
bolt = 21mm