TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the boneyard yesterday and saw about four T-birds there, but one '96 caught my eye specifically because it had a lower rear window moulding that had not begun to peel and flake away. It was completely coated black as mine once was up until about a year ago. I used an upholstery (Hey, did I actually spell "upholstery" right?) tool I had handy and with little effort popped the dime sized heads holding it down. Well, now I have this $6 trim piece but I didn't really study what type of fasteners were used to hold it in place. Were those rivets? If they were, they certainly didn't fall through when I popped the heads off.

Anyone know how to fasten this trim piece back on? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you so much, Thunderbird Pilot. I'm glad such a clip exists new. It was getting near closing at the yard, so I basically snapped off the old clips not stopping to see how they worked. I needed to get to the cashier before they closed. So they basically slide in? Thanks again.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice! :)

You wouldn't think the junkyard would be the place to find a nice piece of molding.

Joe
I always look to see what they have. I was surprised to see this thing unscathed basically. I was going to remove mine and basically paint it, or spray that rubber-like spray seal they advertise on TV. It would be black and give it that original look.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I was at the boneyard yesterday and saw about four T-birds there, but one '96 caught my eye specifically because it had a lower rear window moulding that had not begun to peel and flake away. It was completely coated black as mine once was up until about a year ago. I used an upholstery (Hey, did I actually spell "upholstery" right?) tool I had handy and with little effort popped the dime sized heads holding it down. Well, now I have this $6 trim piece but I didn't really study what type of fasteners were used to hold it in place. Were those rivets? If they were, they certainly didn't fall through when I popped the heads off.

Anyone know how to fasten this trim piece back on? Thanks.
You can still refinish the reveal moldings to a nice semi textured finish abrasion resistant without the desperate search of the near impossible clean find of them upper and lower moldings . I've done it and turns out well.
Simply sanding to bare , primer and coat with texturized spray liner .
The only thing you cant fix is the 1/4" curved edge of the OEM material that flakes away it seats against the glass.
If you get genius enough you can cut shape modern rubber trim/gasket material to do the same.

·
Super Moderator
10,269 Posts
We need to find a clean copy, and get it scanned for 3d printing.

·
Registered
211 Posts
We need to find a clean copy, and get it scanned for 3d printing.
Everything on my red 97 was brand new literally part for part could have been copied. Probably could have got 8000$ in parting it out as apose to 4200 for the sale.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts