TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Wednesday or Thursday will see both Mark and I underneath of my Bird taking the tranny off to replace the leaking rear main seal. Has anyone else done this and can offer tips? From what I understand it goes like this:

Take off exhaust, driveshaft, and cross member.
Drop tranny.
Replace seal.
Replace tranny and assoc. parts.

We're guessing somewhere along the lines of 6-7 hours as a result of rusted bolts and other such aggravating things.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
489 Posts
the easy est way to drop the tranny....

first drop the exaust then unbolt the driveshaft from the pumpkin, a 12pt 12mm wrench works perfect. Then remove the front 2 the rear bracket for the pumpkin so it hangs down, and rotate it so the pinion flang points down, the driveshaft can then be slid back out of the trans without droping the tank. then you can remove the shifter cable, wiring, and cooler lines. then remove the starter, and pop the plug on the drivers side of the block to reach the converter bolts. then drop the crossmember and remove the bellhousing bolts and it will slide right out

Josh

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just bought the rear main seal today from Discount, what number Mercon do I need to use? III, IV, or V?

The project begins on Wed. :)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Mercon 5 is what you should use, as for removine the shaft if your not going to drop the trans it wont come out toull need to drop the tank. You might need be able to remove the pumpkin entirely, youll need to unbolt both the rear hubs and you might be able to slide it out but not sure

Josh

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got a tranny cooler from Pep Boys that will be installed also. Mercon V for sure!

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
Not true.....

Skidonenko said:
Mercon 5 is what you should use, as for removine the shaft if your not going to drop the trans it wont come out toull need to drop the tank. You might need be able to remove the pumpkin entirely, youll need to unbolt both the rear hubs and you might be able to slide it out but not sure

Josh
No cut down on you Josh but you dont have to unbolt both or the rear hubs.You can undo one side(drivers) and unbolt the carrier and slide it out of the other axle.Basically undo the drivers side,remove the axle,unbolt the the driveshaft from the carrier,unbolt the carrier and pull it out from the bottom making sure your passanger axle is un-locked from the carrier.It is just a little cir-clip and finish taking it out.Drop the driveshaft loop in the back,lower the gas tank straps and slide the driveshaft back out.Make sure you have something to support the tank,its not light if it has fuel in it.
Heres another trick if you have air.Instead of hitting the axle with a hammer and messing up the threads get one of those air chisels,put the big round tip on and use that.It wont hurt the axle if you are flat on it and will pop the axle right out of the splines.
And of course you know about the exhaust.I hope this helps,
Chris

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heh, this is on a 5.0 with an AOD. Mercon V won't cut it. Too thin, need Mercon III I believe.

It begins in 3 hours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts