TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Borg-Warner GM-5 turbo from a chevy diesel truck. Its really big, and I want to rear -mount it at the rear y-pipe, where the exhaust splits to duels again. I only want about 4-5 psi. of boost and I dont care about lag. Does this idea sound possible? In terms of fitment, I plan on cutting into the spare tire well (trunk) a little.

Any info on this turbo, or ideas on how to do this would be appreciated.

Also, at these low boost levels, do you think my stock fuel system will keep up?

thanks

·
Registered
319 Posts
I would suggest looking in depth into remote mounted turbo set ups. Before that, boosting a 189k 4.6 will end in failure, sooner then later.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
4-5 psi is a very safe level even on a 189k mod motor. The fuel system is ok if all is in good working order. You will need to tune or tune with a fmu and other piggy back devices. Look hard for specs on the turbo (stamped on the turbo) look for AR. numbers for the intake and exhaust. Also research the type of turbo and specs. For the fuel system you may just want to drop in a bigger pump and a adjustable FPR.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks stevo- I DO plan on blowing this motor eventually and swapping in a new one.

twin turbo 281, that is exactly why I chose 4-5 psi, is cuz, even though I have 190,000 mi. my motor runs good, and I take really good care of it.

Thanks for the tuning info, I hopes this works! It will be very unique.

Paul

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I have a Borg-Warner GM-5 turbo from a chevy diesel truck. Its really big, and I want to rear -mount it at the rear y-pipe, where the exhaust splits to duels again. I only want about 4-5 psi. of boost and I dont care about lag. Does this idea sound possible? In terms of fitment, I plan on cutting into the spare tire well (trunk) a little.

Any info on this turbo, or ideas on how to do this would be appreciated.

Also, at these low boost levels, do you think my stock fuel system will keep up?

thanks
I think the first thing you need to do is find the compressor map for the turbo. You say you don't care about lag, but what if you get no boost until you're at 4500 rpm? Which could be a serious possibility with an oversized turbo.

There is a LOT more to installing a turbocharger on an engine than just slapping it on. :thumbsup:

And I also wouldn't put ANY boost into an engine with 189K miles without at the very least do a leak down test on each cylinder.

Just my .02. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
TT281, What happened to your post?

Also, even with that kind of milage, there will be no problem on a 4.6 so long as it has had maintenence done to it. These engines will last a LONG time in stock form.

Chris

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
That turbo is WAY too big to spool up and give you boost. This is mine:

Here's a shot of it installed:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
You have an clip of that thing running yet? What about a timeslip or a dyno run?

Chris

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
It hasn't been running for a while. Turbo has been off it for a year....hope to get it back on soon. Plus it's been without tires/wheels since June. This too should get cleared up in the next week or so. I'm jonesin to drive it again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sir William,
What diameter of tubing are you running on the cold side? I'm trying to put some research together right now...very clean install i might add.

Chris.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Sir William,

Ever work out the technicalities of getting that kit out there?

Pete

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Well, first it inhaled/imploded a filter which started sucking oil around the seals....it was downhill from there.

The filter spec'd by STS was too small. Once it got a tad bit dirty (which it very much will back there), it couldn't flow enough air. The turbo started imploding the filter...when it couldn't pull enough air, it started sucking oil around the seals....I didn't realize this. Once that starts, it's not long before it's not much good any more.

So I sent the whole thing down to BrainCoating in Florida who rebuilt the unit with new seals and did me a sweet ceramic and powder coating job on it. One of these days, I'll get to get it back on the car....I haven't driven it since sometime in June.

Pete: The only way I could ever get a kit together would be to have the piping all fabbed up myself. STS, after hours of discussions, decided they weren't interested. I don't have the money to get 3 or 4 sets of piped bent up, so mine is still the only one out there.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Bill,
I always wondered about that filter setup. Is there anything mounted in the trunk directly above it so that you could draw air from a big-ass filter up in there?
I envision a closed box with an open bottom mounted over a hole in the trunk pan with the filter on an elbow poking up into the cavity. Less road grunge and more filter area.

You have to miss driving your car pretty bad by now.

richardm

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Well, first it inhaled/imploded a filter which started sucking oil around the seals....it was downhill from there.

The filter spec'd by STS was too small. Once it got a tad bit dirty (which it very much will back there), it couldn't flow enough air. The turbo started imploding the filter...when it couldn't pull enough air, it started sucking oil around the seals....I didn't realize this. Once that starts, it's not long before it's not much good any more.

So I sent the whole thing down to BrainCoating in Florida who rebuilt the unit with new seals and did me a sweet ceramic and powder coating job on it. One of these days, I'll get to get it back on the car....I haven't driven it since sometime in June.

Bummer...my car has had it share of problems too over this past year. Balancer failure, timing cover leaked several quarts of coolant into the motor, broke the motor mounts, wastegate spring lost tension coundn't make any boost, electronic boost controller quit saving changes and I accidently overboosted the motor big time...ect...ect...

Everything is fine now, but I'm sure something new will go wrong before spring.

David

1 - 17 of 17 Posts